Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Fully Flexible Irish Rail tickets after printing

Options
  • 23-12-2022 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I have a fully flexible return ticket. My meeting is over sooner than I expected and would like to try and return early. I printed my ticket at the machine this morning for the outward journey. Both outward and return were printed one the one ticket.

Conditions say can't be changed once printed. Maybe fair enough if I could have chosen to only print one.

Anyway I can change the return time? Basically makes the flexible pointless.

Is booking two separate tickets the solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What station ?

If it's one with a human ticket inspector and not a barrier just ask nicely. If not you are out of luck as the human ticket sellers will charge you full price minus what you paid so a new online ticket is cheaper.

Fully flexible tells you it's only flexible within 60 mins of outward when you book.

2 separate bookings would work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I missed my train in heuston a few weeks ago and had a fully flexible fare and the guy in the ticket office just said no bother work away with that ticket but you won't have your reserved seat, so if you can find a human you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

I ended up just waiting around for a few hours.

Seems like two bookings is the way to go. Seems an odd set up as I'd imagine most people would buy flex and want to change if they got out of a meeting or an event finished early.

I still don't get the need to collect/ print tickets. If I use aircoach etc my email is my ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not printing would involve adapting all the turnstiles I assume. Probably don't want to pay to install the barcode readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

They're in the process of adding QR code scanners to intercity/commuter stations, with the plan to allow scanning of qr codes sent to your email address when booking online. Not sure if the timeline on that however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement