Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which batteries?

Options
  • 22-12-2022 10:49am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question - if it isn't, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Yesterday I bought one of these https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/indoor-christmas-decorations/christmas-candlebridge-light/098199.html?variantId=098199I now read that only non-rechargeable batteries should be used in it (which is enough to make me want to return it ASAP). Could someome please tell me why that is/is that true/is there a difference?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

Re-chargeable batteries have a slightly lower output voltage (1.2V) than the standard duracell type non recyclable (1.5).

It's possible that it won't work with the lower voltage (3.6V when it should be 4.5V)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wow, that was quick, thanks for that! Could they damage the candlebridge, if I were to use them, would you say? The lights are non-replaceable LEDs (which also makes me want to return it...).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,423 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Try it and see, they can't damage it. Although the nominal voltage of rechargeable batteries is 1.2V it's not unusual to see voltages of 1.4V or more when they're fully charged.

The worst thing that can happen is that you'll have to recharge the batteries more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

There's no danger of damaging the thing. There's no harm in trying out rechargeable batteries but the light may not last as long as with standard batteries.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks Alun and cml387, that's great.

• Advertisement

Just an update. The rechargeable batteries work very well.

I bought this because I liked the fact that all the candles were at different heights (to a point). It's only when you see the bridge lit up in the dark that you notice it's shaped like a star. I almost liked it more with a random pattern, but it's still lovely.

Advertisement