Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your guide to electric car prices and battery ranges for 2023 from RTE today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,378 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Should we play a drinking game? Drink a shot every time the author mentions range anxiety, charger anxiety, or talks about how EVs are supposedly bad for the environment 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

John Hayes (author of the piece) has been a huge EV advocate for many years and works in EV research - he has quite literally wrote a book on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭zg3409

While I generally like detailed articles from experts this article seems to overcomplicate the process and have far too much going on.

Things like what is your daily commute round trip in km, do you have a driveway, having to public charge, then compare electric only range of typical Tesla, Hyundai to VW etc and compare fuel and tax savings over a year compared to say equivalent petrol.

Listing 100 cars helps no-one, and mild hybrids are a con, they are 99.9% petrol cars. They basically can't drive 1km on electric only and fuel savings are mostly imaginary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

PHEV are akin to giving up smoking at the weekend only, an abomination

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Rubbish. Surely you can come up with some better lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭quenching

Rubbish indeed. My Outlander PHEV has suited my needs very well for the last 4 years and I still struggle to find any reason to replace it with anything currently available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

They have gone to the effort of collating the info for all ev and yet they couldn't go the the effort of making an decently readable table. Even a screen shot of the info in excel with actual columns would be better, but really should be a table you can sort the columns on and maybe a filter or 2 at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Seurat

This is a thing the government should actually do. Input your eircode to a website, select option for home charger or not (or site shows nearest charger), what electricity plan (solar or not), what your daily commute is, weekend commute, how often do you do 200-300km day trips etc. How many people in the car etc.

Then say how much money you could save per year on the change (or not)

Ideally select a battery size for you then to suit your needs and let the reader look up the article above

Genuinely don't think it would be that hard to do (I have done it for myself I presume plenty of ye have) and once people see whether they will save a lot, barely anything or spend more on an ev would be a great piece of information that would change the overall discussion

People want to do the good thing for the environment but will be happy to do it if they can clearly see it is financially beneficial

• Advertisement
Advertisement