Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish tank for kids - starter

Options
  • 19-12-2022 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

I am looking to get some fish for my kids and I don't even know where to start :(.

Ideally we would get a fish tank where we can have about 10 fish (nothing fancy or big). Also, something low maintenance in terms of cleaning and feeding would be ideal too.

We are based in Dublin and just starting to do some research now, so any advice is welcome, in terms of both what to get and what shops can be most helpful.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you are in North Dublin I recommend you visit Kinsealy Pet Store. They will be able to honestly answer any questions.

If you’re on the Southside, Seahorse Aquariums is your best bet.

The biggest pain with fish keeping is the cleaning out/water changing. It has to done every week or so.

Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 zubinator

Thanks for the recommendation, I visited Seahorse Aquariums yesterday and there were really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

It might sound counterintuitive but it’s actually easier to start with a relatively larger tank, say 80L or so. Get the water chemistry right is straightforward but can be finicky when you’re completely new too it. A larger tank will give you more slack re chemical fluctuations in the water and a bigger margin of error. Easier for low maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

I hope you were able to find what you needed and your children are happy with their aquarium

Advertisement