Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner-driver tipper, profitable?

Options
  • 19-12-2022 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of getting my rigid license.

Looking at the feasibility of buying a tipper lorry and going on hire. Start by picking up odd jobs off bigger outfits, helping out if they're busy, get in with building contractors, making a name for myself etc. Obviously not easy to compete with established hauliers but slow and steady, everyone starts somewhere. If things went well down the line maybe scope for expansion.

No daydreaming, the practical questiong being: can one man with one tipper turn a profit worth talking about? Thoughts and opinions welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

One man with his own truck can turn a profit if its run tightly. From the point of view of regular work you will have mad days and then now work for a few days.

Maybe look at getting into your local roadstone quarries as an owner operator doing deliveries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The tipper work is sown up by about 3 companies one in particular has the rates cut to the bone, Also you would require a Transport Managers CPC and haulage licence and waste disposal licence before getting out on the road.

Lad in work tried it doing general haulage subbing into pallet Distribution companies , He worked his ass off doing it and got very little in return.

That he packed it in and went back driving for a company, Less stress about truck breaking down getting punctures etc (Tyres are not cheap)

Advertisement