Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two way switch - light - off timer

• 18-12-2022 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I have a two way switch - in my bedroom - one switch for en-suite light - the other - for , bedroom light

I continually forget to turn the en-suite light off-

can you get a two way switch - one with an off timer. The other a standard light switch - Was thinking of years back in flats - there was a bubble like two way switch - you push it in - and it went off after a few minutes - ! Any advice appreciated -

thank you

added - I just saw this on Amazon - ( see pic below) I'm wondering if I joined the two switch wires together - and leave the common alone - would that work - as in ,

when I click the light on - the en suite and the bedroom light , would come on together and go out when the timer runs down ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭kirk.

They probably wouldn't be recommended because of the hazard in a bathroom

If you can fit something like a 13 watt led bulb in the holder and just try remember to turn it off it will have little impact on the bill anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Oh really I didn't realise that - the switch is well away from the en-suite - but that's a good bit if advice indeed , thanks

It's the hazard of tripping over if there's a bath or shower and the light goes out

Of course ,

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭monseiur

Why not fit a motion sensor switch in en suite, a it's near water fit a weatherproof one designed for outdoor use. (IP 65) As the name suggests it has a PIR (passive infrared sensor) which will come on automatically when it detects motion and will knock off automatically.

• Advertisement

I have flush pirs in various areas in the house

They work well in walkways where you're moving

I have one in a toilet and the time setting is long to stop it going out which can happen if you're not moving. Dunno how well they work with steam , probably ok I presume ?

They would need a rec as well regulations

It isn't worth the bother of adding controls considering the running cost of an led bulb

Ensuites are not the best room for timers and pirs either

Oh that would actually solve the issue indeed - I had a battery operated one in there only cheap - it did the trick however after 30 seconds if it didn't detect motion it would turn off - ideally for example could be 15 mins in there using shower - if it goes off and be set to countdown - would that work I wonder thanks

I use one of them in an ensuite, battery pir light for using the toilet

For showering turn on the main light

That might be a solution if you're not using the shower every time

• Advertisement

Very good if you get a battery operated pir. As you say that you could extend the standard 30 seconds it would be great -

thanks all

Advertisement