Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread or category search

Options
  • 18-12-2022 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

Thread or category search? The fact that users can only search the whole of boards is plain daft, when they typically only want to search the category or thread. Come on, listen to your users needs.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

THis has to be the single biggest outstanding item to date. I've often read that one of the most valuable parts of boards is its discussion history. But if that's not searchable, then to all intents and purposes it's as good as useless. And it means that all the pain of the drawn out migration was wasted, since the user accounts and fora/thread titles without posts could have been done during someone's lunch break.

How hard is it to add the current context as a filter to the search? eg. If I currently have opened the thread on Skoda Fabia and I search for "Brakes" in the header search, then it only searches the thread I'm in. If I've clicked on the Motors forum, then it searches all threads in that forum. Are there any developers left who can implement this?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hi there,

The search function on site is facilitated by Vanilla. We have raised this issue multiple times in our on going conversations with them as recently as last week. They say it is something that is in development on their side.

We will continue to push the issue and encourage them to come up with a resolution for a functional search facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Easily enough done on desktop

On the results page click Discussions below the search box, then you'll get additional options on the right hand side. In the Category box start typing the forum/category you want to search in, pick the one that matches. You can add more than one. Then click on Filter.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Any update on this? I like that this site has an irish theme to all content but if I cannot search specific sections easily as I browse on my phone then I'm better off on reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

nearly one year on and no progress I take it? 😂

can ye just abandon this Vanilla and move to a more functional platform?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement