Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan in oven only runs when heating

Options
  • 17-12-2022 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭

Fitted an oven for a relative (Belling) and noticed that the fan in the oven only actually runs when the heating element is on, I.e when the oven reaches temperature the fan stops, then when the heat cuts in again the fan starts again. The instructions aren’t very comprehensive but I’ve never seen this on an oven before

Is this normal?

If it is normal - Does not having the fan on constantly throughout have an effect on how well it works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ok, it’s a case of RTFM. Apparently that’s normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Fan should run continuous, temp in and out with the stat, if it is a used oven someone has mixed up connections, if new get back to the retailer, the fan motor gets its supply from the selector switch direct, element from selector switch through the stat.

It’s a new oven, and from going through the manual, this is how they designed it to work, seems strange to me but it’s one of the items in the troubleshooting table at the end of the manual.

Still unclear if this has detrimental effect on how it operates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

I've an expensive Siemens oven & it does similar with fan cutting in and out as required. Usually on ECO modes.

I'd guess it's an energy saving initiative.

Yeah, it’s a strange one, the fan itself would be +/- 25w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The fan may be modulating to a low rate or might just run for a second every 15 seconds so you don’t really hear it but it is still circulating air to keep the temperature even, just not as fast

it might not just be the cost of running the fan. Running the fan full whack might cause the oven to lose heat more rapidly.

The fan has to be wired into the microcontroller anyway (to allow switch between fan/fanless modes) so there’s not much extra cost to this change for the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As mentioned above, possibly it runs continuously at a very low rate when the element isn't on, and only comes on full blast when actively heating.

Advertisement