Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HKC wired Alarm issue/Replacement

Options
  • 15-12-2022 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi there we have an issue with our Alarm, HKC7/10 (I think), we recently had building word done and involved replacing some windows and doors, and the sensors were removed, so the alarm cant be set.

I got PW out to fix and reconnect a sensor, but the engineer asked how old is the system, to which I said installed in 2007, and he said if I were you I’d upgrade to latest technology etc…. I said I had already spoked to PW on this and I didn’t want to as wired and was working, and I own the equipment and didn’t want to be tied to PW and their system.

He then said he couldn’t enter the engineer code, it wasn’t taking and he couldn’t access the main box due to a hanging spur besides it, and he couldn’t remove the cover and he couldn’t take the cover off the spur.

The control panel give a comms fault alarm cant be set contact engineer, and then says something about a fuse error.

I then arranged for my builder to relocate the spur in a few days so contacted PW to book engineer, to be told that since the engineer said that the system was not working and that he recommended we upgrade, that’s all they would entertain, so wont try to fix the existing. As mentioned I don’t want to rent kit from PW as I am thinking of dropping the monitoring and instead getting notifications to mobile etc.

I have already informed my insurance company that my alarm is not functioning, so this is noted on my policy, but my renewal is Jan so looking online the cost to say I have no alarm v’s monitored alarm is only €25euro. I will probably go that way even when I do get it fixed as that way don’t have to have it serviced annually, always set etc.

I will be cancelling my PW contract and assume they wont try to charge me for the remaining months of my contract, given that I am paying for a service that they cant/wont provide.

What would you suggest, I have been advised to upgrade to HKC 10270, so what should that cost given wiring in place, contacts/sensors on all doors and windows already, any recommendations on who to get to do this.

Thanks in advance, and would like to try and resolve sooner rather than later due to the Christmas season.

Sorry forgot ti say Dublin based, Terenure,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Well I heard it all there with the excuses and down right bull that PW guy gave you.

More like he had no idea of wired systems and unfortunately it is a poor reflection of our business sector ( pardon the pun ), that there are guys in it, that now have no clue about wired systems

Yes I agree you could upgrade your panel, if that is even necessary to the HKC 10/270. Any guy worth his salt should be able to work with wired systems so pose that question

Get onto at least 3 licensed PSA installers and get a written quotation from them and make a decision from there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

That is shocking, he couldn't move the spur to open the panel to replace a fuse!!!

I really don't know what they are coming too but when they just use plug in alarms that speaks for itself..

If you wanted to get notifications then you would need an upgrade.

If you have point ID sensors on the system then the 10270 would be the panel as they can use the ID sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Thanks all, and many thanks @davidconroy46 for sorting it out, back working, old dialler removed from panel and bell put into panel to have one less box on the wall.

When a window was replaced it looks like the old alarm wires were left and they caused a short and the fuse to blow.

Even opening up the panel, resetting key pad, reprogramming the sensors and setting off the alarm no phone call from PW, so doing know if the monitoring is/was still working so tomorrow will call them to cancel as they can deliver on their side.

Will look to upgrade the panel and box in time and get the self monitoring option, but for now at least have an alarm that works.

Just off the phone with PW, and they said I could cancel but would be billed for remainder of my 12mt contract.

I said to them how could they bill me when they cant maintain/monitor my system, and they said well they have offered solution to upgrade so they think they can bill me for the remaining 5 months.

Anyway told him to get an engineer out as the GSM wasn't connecting to monitoring centre, and see what's the issue, as I don't want to stay likewise don't want to be billed for rest of my contract.

Must look at their T&Cs to see if I have an out as they couldn't fix a wired system as they have no electricians as engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Going by your original post, what is screaming at me is that they were very happy to enter into a contract with you to maintain the system you had / have.

Then when their " engineer " arrived he immediately refused to work on your existing system and recommended you updated your system.

So it would seem to me that they failed firstly in their obligation to you as their " engineer " was not interested and very probably unable to repair your existing system.

Also one other thing, PW technical staff are only trained in the particular alarm systems which they install. I doubt they have many technical lads who are still familiar with HKC equipment. It is a long long time since they used that manufacturers equipment.

Per say, an electrician is a different animal, when I mentioned wired systems these were the norm up to around 8 years ago, so for those of us in this game before then, well we would be very familiar with wired systems.

The great thing about the system you currently have is that you can get an independent second opinion, no one with their more modern systems can get that.

• Advertisement

Id also agree with what Kub has said above but you have said above that you had the old dialer removed?

If an engineer from P.W. sees this, he will know someone was tampering with the system and then you will be charged the extra months owed to them if this is the reason the GSM is not working.

My advise would be to cut your loss to them if this is the case and move to another company who can maintain your wired system.

When I say dialler removed this was the panel for the previous land line which I got rid 8 years ago when I got rid of my fixed phone line.

Will see what engineer says in 2 weeks

Post edited by cloughy on

They may use the same dialer as if you add a GSM it simulates a phone line to dial out.

Let's see what engineer says when he comes about why control centre not receiving notifications

Advertisement