Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Water Bottle

Options
  • 14-12-2022 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure where to post this?

I bought a hot water bottle in SuperValu yesterday for the first time in about forty years lol.

Now, I don't know if it's a legal thing in Ireland/EU or just a recommendation but the advice is that hot water bottles should not be used after 2-3 years as the rubber deteriorates etc.

When I checked the manufacture date on mine I see it was actually made in 2011.

I suppose my question to somebody with a knowledge of rubber is does the deterioration begin as soon as it's manufactured or after it starts being used?

If it's the former I'll just return it but I was looking forward to a warm bed 😔

Google didn't really help me with a definitive answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Feckers must have had them sitting in the store room since the 2010 big freeze 😡

I wonder if it's a health and safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭zell12

-edit

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭shane b

I would say its after it starts being used, being in contact with hot to cold liquid would have a bearing on product life.

I got scolded by a hot water bottle that burst earlier this year. Soaked the bed too. I noticed a few nights before this incident that there were little black specs in the water when i emptied it, which was possibly the inside lining deteriorating.

Ive since told my wife its a "hot water" bottle not a "boiling Water" bottle, but to her its too cold unless its boiling water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Odelay

Read the article, it’s from manufacture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,083 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Rechargeable (electric) hot water bottles are the way to go. About 20 euro to purchase but totally worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Used to have metal or ceramic hot water bottles years ago, maybe you can still get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

My Pappy told me years ago you could have a hot water bottle for 10+ years and no bother with it.

Now they are made to leak. Same with everything. Shouldn't be allowed. Easy to stop, but powers that be are paid to do nothing.

Advertisement