Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation

Options
  • 13-12-2022 11:20am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with the lack of rooms in Sligo? I'm looking for a Saturday in August 2023 and there's next to nothing on Booking.com and on Airbnb. Airbnb has 1 flat in the whole town that day. If I choose a random Monday in September it's only marginally better. Is demand that high? Or is supply just gone..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The lack of available rooms is probably down to hotels housing the Ukrainian refugees and other asylum seekers. They're making big money out of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I was thinking that, but no Airbnbs either? Not even spare rooms listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I know the government is paying for private rooms also for refugees so there is every chance that the Airbnbs are being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Jeez, the whole tourist related service sector is gonna have a lean summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

"Saturday in August 2023"

Most popular holiday month by far - Low supply & high demand at that time of year

(+ not all rooms might be released yet that far in advance)

Try searching again in Jan when the year has changed over.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yeah I get that, but it's much the same on a Monday in September. I can't imagine there's been much of a rush to book summer holidays in Sligo at this point of the year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Sligo has a few festivals/outdoor activities that month so demand is high & some people book for these a year in advance.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Advertisement