Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Urgent Help Needed //VRT//

Options
  • 13-12-2022 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi all

buying a 1991 nissan in the uk in the coming week.

Need your help with regards to the vrt situation.

its over 30 years old so it should be 200 euro .However do i have to insure the car before I pay the vrt? I want to bring it in and declare it off the road while it has work done to it to get it nct ready. can it be brought by trailer to and from to get the vrt paid?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Yes - just trailer it in, no insurance needed. It will need to be running though - so you need to be able to start it up. You also need the VAT sorted prior to VRT'ing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭PearSofter

thats great to hear appreciate it lots, my only last question is about the vrt itself. The exact model isnt on the online calculator but its definitely over 30 years old, registered in 1991(J plate). My only fear is that the vrt decides to charge more than 200 euro

They won't, its €200 for everything over 30 years of age - be it a Fiat or Ferrari. They might need to send you away without VRT'ing it if they can't get a statistical code for it, but you'll get a call a few days later to pay the €200.

... actually, I'm led to believe theres a tyre disposal levy as well now which you need to pay when clearing the car - so add on an extra 20 quid or so to that €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭PearSofter

thats perfect thank you, been a massive help for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’ve my classic policy through First Ireland. Imported a car a few years ago. Gave them the English reg, it had an MOT so I was free to drive it back from the UK and drive it around until I cleared the VRT. That was 2019 though so might have changed since the Brexit finalisation.

Yours needs a bit of work but still worth getting a classic policy if you don’t have it, covers you for fire and theft.

What kind of Nissan did you get?

Also, best of luck with it 👍

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement