Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black screen with cursor

Options
  • 12-12-2022 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭

So, today when I turned on my computer, instead of the normal desktop, all I could see was a black screen with a moveable cursor.

Now, I've done some googling about this already. I've removed the battery and replaced it again, which had no effect.

I've also opened up task manager and found that windows explorer was missing from the list there. I went to file and ran explorer.exe as a new task. This made the desktop appear for a few seconds before disappearing again.

Is there again else that you'd suggest for me to try? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Firblog

Do same thing except run rstrui.exe instead of explorer - do a system restore or run cmd.exe - then run sfc /scannow to see if there is something wrong that windows can fix before doing system restore.

Advertisement