Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual vga graphics card

Options
  • 12-12-2022 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have an older dell in my childhood home I will be using this Christmas.

It only has one vga output when I'd really like two. I've no idea what graphics card to fit, would someone be able to advise me what to do? I'd prefer vga as I have two vga monitors

Tia

Omt

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What's the model of it? And by VGA, do you really mean old style DB15 VGA connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I will have to check in a weeks time while I am there

Edit - my old man is going to check for me shortly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'd really need a time machine to get dual VGA, even 15 years ago cards were dual DVI or DVI+VGA

DVI-I (the most common DVI format) carries VGA natively (the four pins around the blade are the analogue ones), so its a passive convertor and completely transparent to the card and monitor

You'll need to find out what the machine is and how old it is for a recommendation - if its very very very old it won't have PCI Express; otherwise it may need an older version of a card.

Thank you, will find out shortly

HP Compaq is all he can see. I'll have a look next week and see can I get a specific model number

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A picture of the ports at the back would help. There may also be a sticker with model info back there too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

HP Compaq would suggest it is at least 9 years old

You may be throwing money away doing anything to it as it could easily be completely useless for anything modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Jon Doe

If you can afford to temporarily transplant your entire desktop to your childhood home or your at least your current graphics board to the Compaq (assuming it fits) maybe your could buy a couple of adapters?

https://skinflint.co.uk/3932727499

you could buy the kind of graphics card that usually fits such old machines (need to know the model to be sure)

https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gra16_512&xf=11570_passiv+(l%FCfterlos)%7E351_low+profile+Blende&sort=p#productlist

or your could forget all about computers for the duration of the holiday... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

have one of these at home, your welcome to it.

Need to collected. New in Box (dont ask!!!!)

MSI R5450-MD1GD3H/LP

• Advertisement

Not yet will know next week, thanks for asking though! :)

That's very kind of you, unfortunately I can't travel very far normally but I appreciate your offer!

Having a look at about in system settings and can't see a model number

Computer is 'acpi x64 based'

Graphics card is Intel q35 express chipset family

Any good for identification?

No. That's years worth of potentials.

There should be a silver sticker on it somewhere. Possibly the bottom

Brings the possible age up to 11 though. You won't get much use out of that.

You're right, it is a pos, I should probably consign it to the technology graveyard and buy a new desktop

Advertisement