Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting old, losing distance, what to do?

Options
  • 12-12-2022 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've never been the longest but have managed to keep a single figure handicap (just) over the years. I've started to lose distance to the point where it's really starting to affect my scoring, drives barely going 200 yds. I'm 60.

I just need to get about 10% or so back. Any advice on what to do; lessons, new clubs (yah!), take up bridge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Lessons are probably the best idea - your pro will have suggestions on how to increase your club head speed and technique - if you're not hitting it off the middle of the club that can limit your distance too. Pro can also advise if you should change any of your clubs to improve distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭plumber77

How would you rate your overall strength/mobility. A lot of gains to be made here and beneficial outside of golf too as we get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Having been at and passed your stage and not knowing your strengths I would second what Par72 has said. You can improve your swing speed and thereby distance with something like the Superspeed training sticks/system with the greatest improvement from the lightest stick (I bought the set of three but don't use the two heavier ones so would only buy the lighter one again). The second thing is to improve your 3/5 wood and short game inside say 75 yards. I cannot now reach many of the longer par 4's with an iron but would fancy myself to up/down it and still feel competitive. I also dropped my 3 and 4 irons and put a Rescue 21 in their place which was a great move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Press ups

Planks

Cycling &/or squats

And some extra flexibility work & you'll preserve & enhance what you have.

Furthermore, you'll also be healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I would suggest exercise & a proper fitting not one in Mcguirks or the likes. I have got lessons for years and still wasn't improving I went to a professional club maker this year and the difference has been night & day. He also told me my Pro should of seen my clubs were wrong but I suppose he doesn't use technology but I was getting a lesson 1 a month at least for years @ €60 a pop. I am now playing some of the best golf in years and haven't had a lesson in months.

He showed me a video of a driver he fitted for a 60 yr old guy with a swing speed of 90 mph he has him hitting it 260 yds now with right club built.. I have had loads of fittings but this was eye opening.. Like the set I had my 7i was spinning @ 10,000 rpm. So although I taught I was hitting a good shot the ball was going no where & my Pro was telling me I needed to compress the ball more 🙄 Oh he said he is a club builder not a club fitter there is a big difference I haven't a clue what though 😂

I would also recommend the swing speeds sticks been using them myself & find them great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

I'm 62 and do this http://nilsconwaygolffit.ie have been doing the group classes since January 2020 (on Zoom during Covid) - had my best year results wise in a long time this year and maintaining single figure handicap currently 7.8.

And I'm in better condition now than I was 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭coillcam

In broadest terms, if you have old clubs and haven't been fitted in some time then there could be some very easy gains here. The technology/lofts/shafts that are available and then matching them up could give you that "instant distance" albeit for some €€€. That's without the time invested in practice or exercise. A lot of stores/pros will give you a free fitting if you buy or charge €30-ish if you don't buy. I have a colleague of similar age to you that got a driver fitting recently and has gone from a slice to a straight or slight fade shape +10 to 15 yards gain. Purely a proper driver, shaft and settings combo for him. No swing changes or lessons. Transformed his tee game, especially into the wind and he can more reliably plot his approach positions. Huge win for him.

If you're in single figures after a long golfing career I don't think there's as much gain to be had with lessons but it's not worth ruling out entirely. However, exercise will improve strength, mobility, fitness and stability. Which means more speed and distance regardless of clubs or lessons. It would really help with fatigue over 18 holes.

I will not make any specific recommendations on exercise as I've no idea of your history (injuries, medical etc). However, it is almost certainly some combination of strength and mobility-based training that will give not just give you distance alone. It would improve your quality of life also. There are plenty of good quality personal trainers that could tailor a routine for your specific needs and schedule. Don't let this suggestion phase you and I'm certain you could get a local referral or recommendation.

I say this respectfully considering your age, not knowing your history/background and not trying to scaremonger. If you're considering starting fitness training, do get in touch with your GP to explain that you're looking to start training. Ask for guidance and if there is anything you need to be careful with. This would lead to the conversation you'd have with a personal trainer or you might end up swimming pool lengths. There are many options available.

Best of luck with whatever route you go for 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭plumber77

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭e.r

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Hi Benny, would you mind sending me the details too? Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Hi Benny, could you send me the name of the club builder too please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bobster453

Me too Benny please.

About time I moved on from my 15 year old bought off the shelf clubs.

I have seen your improvements and reckon I need similar to challenge some of ye young lads this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You'd want to start looking for a commission @benny79 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bobster453

Dont be giving him ideas😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

My advice is terms of my opinion of efficacy would be as follows:

1. Lessons on a simulator with a good pro. You've lost clubhead speed so you need to maximize every bit left. If your strike pattern is very off centre you'll lose distance. Same with launch and spin characteristics. You need to be as efficient as possible in converting club head speed to ball speed.

2. Get an exercise program done up specifically for golf and your own body. This may be focused mostly on mobility but it should incorpate strength work also. Might help you find a few mph of club head speed.

3. Get your equipment fit by a competent pro / club fitter. This is a service that should be paid for. It'll be far more worthwhile than getting one done in a golf shop where their modus operandi is to sell equipment. You'll likely be given more driver loft, a softer flex shaft and have to dump any long irons. Key is to maximise driver distance and then have suitable gaps between driver and your most lofted wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nice wine

I'd be interested in the name of the club builder please.

Jesus 😂 Sorry lads I haven't been on over the Xmas! I pm'd everyone there I think 🙈😂 If not just ask again.

@spacecoyote I think I may 🤣 Always wanted to work in golf the lads might put in a good word for me that he needs a Rep! Hint hint... lol..

Just so you all know I have no affiliation but willing to change that if the price is right! 😂 I actually found out about him through one of the lads of boards who has improved dramatically! but have to say I am loving the clubs, a bit rusty after the break but I seriously cant wait for the summer where you actually get run on the ball..

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Quahog217

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Me too. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I don't see that there would be any issue with Benny posting the name of the fitter here.

I was fitted for my clubs in Foregolf, and have mentioned it on here without any issue around stating where I bought the clubs.

He's a legitimate business so I don't see any issue. You're recommending him, not getting paid for the privilege, and he's not on here selling his wares himself

Im Sure the mods can delete if not allowed.

The club builder is Peter Doyle hes based in Tramore driving range in waterford actually comes up as Newtown driving Range on google. Precision golf is the company name he has a few videos on U tube. Just be carefully as there is a Precision golf in the UK (not connected). His no is 0863203070. The fitting is €100 but he spends over an hour with you I found it brilliant best I have ever experienced to be fair.

Post edited by benny79 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I was the one who passed on his details to Benny. I gave what I thought was a glowing review of him after the fitting, but clearly I don't have Benny's way with words!

It was actually Snackbox but you helped confirm his opinions too 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

If your post on his service was in a society 2023 thread it would be nailed on for post of the year anyway. Whatever about a post getting a few likes, yours has put his kids through college.

Definitely deserve a job so 😂

Advertisement