Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to feed robin blackbird? stealing food

• 12-12-2022 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

I'm leaving out food and water on the window ledge but the blackbird is grabbing it first

Is there a way to make sure the robin gets fed ? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cage feeder. Will also stop squirrels; but mice/rats can still get through if its low enough and you're putting out food they want

We've found that they don't seem interested in mealworms whereas the robins go mad for them.

When we used a more diverse feed we also got sparrows going in, but also some field mice (cute, but don't want them in the house) and then when I saw a rat; the entire thing went until we decided to try with just mealworms. Rats will eat mealworms but for whatever reason just don't seem to be as attracted to them as they were to mixed seeds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ok thanks very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yeah, realistically the only way to "specify" who you feed is to restrict the type of food on offer and how you offer it. I put mixed seed out yesterday and got nothing but hooded crows and magpies. My caged feeder is a peanut one which doesn't seem to attract any smallies at all.

In my last house I got a huge array of customers. Sparrows, chaffinches, goldfinches, blue tits, coal tits, the works. Haven't seen anything similar since I moved 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

In fairness the Blackbird is Hungary as well lovely bird

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Encourage the blackbird their song is quite something to hear

• Advertisement

Ya sure I'll feed both

They alternate between the food

Just had a soft spot for the robin

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭asdfg22

I be more inclined to feed the blackbire as likely be more meat on when you decide to have the banquet...

My robin bullies all the other birds out of it, even the blackbird and the thrush. I lure him to the back of the garden with a few bits of grated cheese and then go round the front and feed the other guys. Before he gets wind if it and tears round and chases away the wrens, finches and wagtails

so I’ve the opposite problem…how to stop my robin chasing off everyone else

Ya I just learned about the grated mild cheese and the apple for the robin

Live and learn but they're a pleasure and a learning experience

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Cheese for the Robin. I cut it into tiny cubes smaller than the head of a match. I can actually get them to eat out of my hand. Well, that was earlier in the year. In the last few weeks they won't come near me- they?? you ask. Yes. In Spring there were two - I figured a mother and baby or more likely juvenile as the colouring was that of an adult. It took a while, but eventually had one in each hand simultaneously. This continued until one stopped coming. THen the other didn't bother with the cheese any more. Then last week, one of them followed me to the shed, so I tried to feed it but it stayed well out of reach, but ate the cheese if I threw it on the ground. Then the other day, two of them were sitting on the wall about 1 metre apart. One immediately flew away, and the other took cheese, but not from the hand. So - cheese!

I have a feeder hidden in a bush (to try to foil the dang pigeons) and I've spotted the robin feeding from it - sunflower hearts. I also spotted a squirrel eating out of it. This is just a bog standard seed feeder. I have sunflower heart feeders hanging up, and the goldies and linnets go there. And about 12 pigeons land to catch the windfalls, also known as "what the stupid goldies keep dropping" - which probably amounts to 50%, but I'm philosophical about that and say the pigeons are gobbling up the seed so nothing there to attract rats. Also had a solitary pretty little mouse, who was there all summer, and would also visit the hidden feeder, but haven't seen him in a month. Moving very slowly, I could easily get within arm's length of him. I mean REALLY slowly.

There's a blackbird visiting the garden, but I suspect he's just going for grubs, he never goes anywhere near the feeders. I used to put out (very expensive) mealworms but by the time the blackbird would arrive the magpies had polished off the lot. But ... I'm not sure if this is similar to your situation, but whenever I see the blackbird, the robin is never far away. Or vice-versa. I always thought the must be neighbours who follow each other around.

edit to say: sorry for rambling, I like the Robin.🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Should squirrels not be hibernating at the moment?

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Irish squirrels don't hibernate. They might bunker down for a couple of days like in the current cold weather but generally not for the winter.

My robin and wagtail having a full on scrap this morning. Rolling around on the path and seem very evenly matched.

they seem to have reached some kind of truce and taking turns. Fascinating to watch the garden politics while I’m working at home

Sorry folks for the previous rambling post.

Hey Foggy, I actually went on Netflix last week and found a very interesting program about squirrels. They don't hibernate, but they do sleep a lot more, leaving their "dray" (nest) only to get some food then back to sleep.

Following on with the Robin story - he's back eating from the hand - must be hungry!

Lastly, my long and winding post above was more about what works for me with the birds, in case anyone might find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is a robin here that cheers my very soul. he ( or she) has learned how to avoid the cats by perching in the top thin branches of the bush near the door and singing so sweetly.

he flies to meet me with a song..So I leave the cats shut in the house while i feed him in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I had a similar problem with a blackbird. He's a complete thug, bully, sctote. He got a shock when a double-hard starling (60% the size of the bb) put manners on him. Starling isn't around enough though.

So with a little bit of Robin whispering this is where we are now - must treat him to a bit of cheese tomorrow

Hey General, nice photos. I have to ask... do you wear the glove because its cold, or for hygiene reasons. I don't wear a glove, but do immediately wash my hands after feeding Robbie - who hears the key in the back door and comes down for his cheese. Its daily now, and he has a companion who doesn't come near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The glove is for a couple of reasons. It gives the wee lad a bit of grip and (in my head) it's a transition from the grub being on a piece of wood, to my hand. Dunno, perhaps I'm over thinking the man - robin relationship :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And his other favourite safe perch. He sits atop and sings...

• Advertisement
Advertisement