Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with people and their 'rewards card'

Options
  • 11-12-2022 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So I need to get a few things at my local Supervalu in Midleton. Choose the checkout where the woman ahead of me has all of her shopping already bagged (over the checkout where 2 staff have decided to stand at the end having a chat), all she has to do is pay. I put the groceries out of the basket, they trundle down the conveyor to a point where I can't retrieve them, and then the waiting starts.

She's one of these people who has the app on her phone. Somewhere. That needs some code. That she either can't find or can't remember. So ignoring my existence she proceeds to start tapping on her phone and she keeps tapping and tapping and tapping. She eventually found it, then had some minor drama with it, and then finally decided it was time to actually pay so naturally being female had to then go through the process of finding the card inside the purse inside the handbag.

This was for buying literally **** all.

My own transaction afterwards took less than half the time to complete than the time this woman spent simply tapping away at a **** phone.

I really wish this was the kind of thing where you could beat the **** out of someone for **** you around, but unfortunately it isn't.

I have to hope eventually the supermarkets ditch these **** rewards because I hate waiting forever for someone else to get 10 cents worth of **** reward by making me wait for them to do so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,075 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Your problem isn’t the card, just the fact that there are more self absorbed, useless and thoughtless cünts in existence then ever before..

any que I’m in, I see it as me having a responsibility to get ready to carry out the transaction in the most efficient and effective manner possible, not for myself but as a courtesy and help to others queuing and I appreciate the same…this was even before covid times.

get payment ready.. ok around 90 euros worth of stuff, I take out two 50’s I’m also packing while the person is scanning.. so the packing and payment takes the minimum…

phone goes off, I’m ignoring it… I’m not standing there trying to do a transaction with a staff member and talk to somebody on the phone….like some of the inconsiderate rattle brain rude ghouls you encounter with ever increasing frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Take a breath. In reality it was a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

There could have been rugby about to start. Have a bit of empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll be even more annoyed when you find out that Supervalu doesn't even give rewards points anymore. Its points towards a discount turkey / competition entries.

They do have a glacially slow app, which certainly doesn't help checkout speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

1st world problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭Xterminator

there are 2 ends of the spectrum. there is LIDL checkout where if you take the time to pack a bag correctly you are holding up the queue an get funny looks. Checkout operator could be an Olympic sport it is so intense.

then there is the laissez faire attitude of dunnes/super valu where they often actually chat with customers and will run off to get a spare voucher etc. They process the customers slower - thats a fact. But they provide a more personable service. i was waiting in dunnes at the weekend and the girl on checkout was keeping a running total for a customer who was on a budget. ended up swopping in something for something else when total was reached. Its good that they provide that service but i can understand getting a little frustrated when waiting behind.

Pick the supermarket that best reflects your values. e.g. speed of service or customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ah yes, the fodder which keeps boards.ie alive.

Enjoyable as to let yourself creatively envisige your reaction at the checkout without the physical interaction of being there.

Tutting loudly, was that an option? Very under-rated passive-aggressiveness.

i forgot to mention the scan as you shop at Tesco is 100% improvement on queuing for tills. in my local they keep the till strictly separate for scan as you shop, and i rarely have to q, and if i do its just a minute or 2. service check is random, sometimes ill go 10 shops before one happens.

couple of items trigger the machine, paracetamol, alcohol and buying a knife or a lighter! no big dela, but needs approval.

the idea is a winner for me. running total as you shop, no problems unshopping an item and almost no queue. 80% of time time you can avoid all human interaction. might suit OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

There's still too many slow **** in Lidl and Aldi.

Some gobshite the other day in lidl got a load of stuff without bringing a bag with him. The groceries were just left where the worker put them on the shelf thing. When time comes to pay, he then goes and takes his wallet out. Then puts his wallet back into his pocket. Then he slowly picks up all his items.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In Aldi and Lidi you aren't supposed to pack your bags at the till. Your supposed to but the items back in your trolley or basket and pack at the shelf. The other shops have pack at tills. But at least in Aldi/Lidl they'll open more tills if there's a queue, at the "premium" stores they'll have staff standing around chatting while customers queue the one open till.

Any decent till operator will keep a running total if asked. It's easier for them to stop scanning at €xx than call a manager over to cancel a sale.

None of these issues are related to the OP where people are queuing for a till yet don't think to get the items they need out that they'll need. It's like the people who complain about a bus being x minutes late and then start routing in their pockets/bag for the money/card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Some people here need to shop online. No queuing, no difficult customers in front or impatient ones behind.

No having to find a parking space and have that 1 or 2 euro for the trolley.

The benefits are endless.

You can even have a cup of coffee while you shop. ☕😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

The biggest issue with the SuperValu app are:

1. it’s not called SuperValu, it’s called Real Rewards which causes people to search SuperValu and not find it on their phone. Then they realise, oh yeah it’s Real Rewards.
    2. It often idiotically pops up offers after you’ve opened it with the barcode code displaying to scan.
    3. It’s slow and cumbersome to find vouchers and they’re barcodes rather than QR codes, which are far easier to scan.
    4. It’s not compatible with Wallet, which makes it harder to find too.

The other issue is you open the app and occasionally find it’s logged out and then you have to figure out the log in details. That’s an issue I’ve found on more than a few of those apps. Seems usually it’s a software update has resulted in the app logging out.

I don’t eat turkey so I’ve zero interest in their turkey tokens anyway.

I also find their app has a tendency to give you stupid money vouchers for amounts that are more than I spend. So I have largely given up on it.

I find if I do the “boring” staple items shopping online (or by click and collect), then I can just dip in and pick up the few extra bits and pieces and it makes it a lot less of a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

There's a very easy solution to this - Aldi.

No app, no vouchers, no card, no masters in mathematics required, no charging you twice the price because you don't have a card. The price is the price on the shelf.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

The Tesco system is turning into their supermarkets effectively being a membership club. That club card price thing needs to be regulated out of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The purpose of a rewards card is for the supermarkets to get a record of their customers buying habits, and to target them with offers to spend more and/or get repeat custom. They are not going away anytime soon, what the shop gives away in 10-15% off an item or a shopping basket, it is getting back in data.

Lidl have probably the best one, activate them on the app and scan the loyalty card on your phone once. SV one is cumbersome, having to generate and scan each barcode as required.

Post edited by retalivity on

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭eusap

Download the stocard app and keep all the rewards cards in one place!

you may have an issue with clubcards but there are benefits that you are ignoring.

1. no queuing & no scanning Clubcard at till with scan as you shop. makes shopping so much smoother.
    2. if you use the app you cant lose vouchers, can see expiry etc. dont even need the card with you anymore.
    3. you get the Clubcard prices
    4. they give you coupons for things you buy regularly - in app.

As for your point, well its free to join, its not in anyway restricted, you can get a temp Clubcard on the spot if you need to. and in Ireland its never been a membership club, you can exercise your choice to join and enjoy benefits or not join.

I shop in dunnes too, and i note that if you didnt shop in Dunnes last week you dont get any vouchers for this week and end up paying more than the regulars who have the same basket of goods. Exact same effect as the Tesco Clubcard prices - different vehicle. do you also want dunnes money off vouchers abolished?

The Tesco ones are often huge differences between Clubcard price and regular price. We are already paying ludicrous grocery prices in Ireland and seemingly have to be browbeaten into being data mined too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's a perk of the club, you don't have to sign up to it and you don't have to shop in Tesco. Could be worse, Tesco could copy Costco.

• Advertisement
Advertisement