Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wood dye top coat help

• 10-12-2022 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All

i am finishing ash wood with White Ash Colron wood dye and have only just realised I need to seal it with a top coat. Colron Refined Interior Laquer is stated on the can to be used. I cannot find this in stock anywhere.

can anyone suggest a good alternative

thanks

owen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭omeara1113

I used sadolin two pack floor varnish to finish mine great job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Ash is a difficult wood to stain as it has alternate hard and soft grain . As you have applied the dye you can seal it with a lacquer or polyurethane, The brand is not important. I can recommend Chestnut spray lacquers from the Carpentry store in Naas or water based polyurethane from most hardware shops. Don't use a solvent based polyurethane and as it turns ash an unpleasant honey yellow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hey Recipio, considering you have used waterbased Polyurethane...whats it like for an mdf cabinet door. How quick does it dry, and is it a good tuff finish.

I've never used it at all, and would be interested in your opinions, or any one elses😀

Ta,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Most of the polyurethane I see in the hardware shops is water based. It doesn't always say on the tin but the giveaway is the ' clean the brush with water ' advice

Can't say I have tried it on MDF but I did finish a large coffee table in Iroko with it. It's hard to fault it and it dries much faster than solvent based poly. The finish is just as durable. It looks ' milky ' as you apply it but soon turns clear. As I mostly make small boxes now I tend to stick to the Chestnut acrylic finishes or French Polishing. Overall it's good for light coloured woods like ash or baltic ply. For darker woods I would stick with a solvent based poly as I like the 'mellowing' effect.

Advertisement