Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new insurance for second car

Options
  • 10-12-2022 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

i just bought a second car for myself. on our current car, i am the main driver, with my wife as a named driver.

on this second car, i want to be the main and only driver.

is this possible? i clicked through some insurance websites, but they kept asking me about the expiry of my existing insurance - what does the insurance of my current car have to do with a new insurance i want/need to take out for my new car? i put in random numbers so the websites wouldnt complain and it usually came out to around 700-800 euros.

then i checked on 123.ie - even with the recent speeding ticket i got (62 or so in a 50 zone, and i'm sure i was just rolling it out as soon as i saw the 50 sign), they quote me 530 or so, but they also didnt ask me about existing insurances.

whats going on here? can i be the main driver on 2 cars? the car salesman who drove the car to me this morning said he believes its not possible to be the main driver on 2 cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The problem is that you cannot use your existing no-claims discount (NCD) on a second car. So you will be treated as a new driver. You said you want to be the only driver of the 2nd car but you will often get a discount if there is an adult with a full licence as a named driver. Because it increases the chances that there will be a sober person to do the driving if the main driver has had a few.

That quote for €530 from 123 seems very low for a driver with no NCD. What kind of a car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

so the 530 is with the information that i have a NCD of 6+ years. but their website didnt ask if i am currently insured elsewhere, which other insurers asked me. the car is a 191 kia ceed hatchback

personally i have my (german) license for 18 years, so i dont see the logic to require another named driver with a full license. and is it the default in ireland for insurers to assume people drink? because i dont. for now only i will be the driver of this new car. both me and my wife (as named driver) want to remain on the insurance for our old car.

my wife will do her driving test next year so putting her as a named driver for the new car doesnt work.

/edit: to add to that:

123.ie showed they applied a discount of around 750euro to get to 530. so without that it would be 1280 or so. this is utterly inacceptable??? ridiculous?! the first time i got car insurance in ireland was 10 years ago for me then 10 year old micra and i paid around 1000, with no driving experience in ireland. 10 years later with 10 years more experience in ireland they want more? that cant be right.

Post edited by murfilein on

That explains why the 123 quote was so low - they think you've changed car and want to use your no-claims discount for the new policy.

Online quotation systems tend to make certain assumptions so you may be better off phoning for quotes.

The benefit of having a named adult driver (as seen by the insurers) would also extend to long trips, where two people could share the driving, thus reducing the risk of a crash caused by driver fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

yeah i will call them - but how come that from all industries, insurances are amongst those that dont work on weekends? they open their lines after i start working, and they close their lines before i'm done with work. thats actually preposterous. its like they actively try to useless and a pain in the butt in everybodies lifes.

but just as a thought... what i just go ahead with the online quote? can/will they check later on if i'm insured elsewhere? can they even know?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mikewest

Use a broker and see if they can get you a discount somewhere or alternatively have this car in your wife's name with you as the named driver. It may be cheaper the second way and it builds her no claims bonus.

• Advertisement

OP’s wife is on a learner permit so insurance in her name will be even more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mikewest

Missed that, in that case op talk to a broker or two and see what they can do for you

but just as a thought... what i just go ahead with the online quote? can/will they check later on if i'm insured elsewhere? can they even know?

In order to avail of your NCD discount on the 2nd car, you will need to produce a cert from your current insurer. You get this cert at renewal time so trying to use your NCD for another car midway through the term of your current policy would be difficult. And would probably constitute a false declaration since you would nominally be insuring the 2nd car as your main car.

Say you used your NCD for the 2nd car, you’d probably have a problem next time you went to renew the policy on the 1st car. Because the insurer covering the 1st car would probably by now be aware that you used the cert they gave you and would be aware that you had another policy on another car. So they would probably renew only on the basis that your NCD had reverted to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

Why do you need two cars? Your wife can't drive on her own until she passes the test. If an insurance company asks questions and find out that you want to insure a second car while your wife is a named driver in the first they will assume that you are "fronting" and will refuse to insure you

All you can do is wait for her to pass the test and then get insurance in her name on one of the cars with each of you named on the other's policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

There's a thing called email. It works quite well even for people who want to moan.

If you have a second car you need a second insurance. You might get a couple of years bonus NCB from your current insurance but that's it.

The only reason you would need a second car is if the named driver on car 1 is using it most of the time.

Some will have a classic car and that's a different insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement