Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Nokia Smartphones Any Good?

Options
  • 09-12-2022 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

What are the disadvantages of a Nokia smartphone in comparison to a Samsung Galaxy and an iphone? I've finally decided that it's time to upgrade to a smartphone, and i'm just wondering do Nokia phones still have a good reputation, or is there better options than Nokia when it comes to mid range prices smartphones?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Ask yourself few basic Q's

Do you need smartphone? Well ok, all of them are now. What "smart" feature would you use/need.

Samsung is, in most cases, "nice to have" or "i can afford"

Other than that, compare tech specifications between and think - do you realy need 64MP camera, as you wont be printing those picture anyway, or 32MP will do. This sort of things....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I'm just looking for a phone that's reliable and durable, and has a good quality camera as well. What are the other decent options outside of Samsung and Apple?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Nokia budget phones (sub €300) wouldn't be as good a spec as those from others at that price range.

I'd look at the Redmi Note 11 Pro/Pro 5G or Poco M4 Pro for around the €300 mark, good all rounders, good camera/screen, great battery life, dual sim support.

There's a good thread here on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭NiceFella

Why are you suggesting Nokia specifically? Are you looking at a particular model? As far as I know you can buy a Samsung at the relative price point of a Nokia. I had a Nokia before which was reminiscent thinking. But It was not good. The software was just unless on it. Not a good phone at all.

You can also think about the Chinese manufacturers like Huawei or Oppo etc which are generally good value for money.

Because i'm using a more old fashioned type of phone and it's a Nokia brand one. I was just wondering how good is their smartphones in comparison to their competitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭NiceFella

If you are after ease of use when coming to a smart phone, I don't think Nokia's are any easier to get grips with than other smart phones.

There are options like an emporia smart phone for an easy using style.

I have a tablet so i doubt i'd need something as basic as an Emporia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Bought my son a Nokia. It was a piece of junk. Laggy and glitchy.

Get a redmi. We replaced the Nokia with one of those and it was far better.

Nokia are trading off a name that once stood for quality but now is a pale shadow of a once great brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

So, Nokia smartphones are Android phones. A chinese manufacturer bought the Nokia brand.

I had one recently, a Nokia 7 plus, that had a great camera, vanilla Android, i.e.. no crap bloatware, and was Google One branded so it got security updates for years. Really nice design and solid case.

However the charging port broke not because I was rough with it, but because it was a common failure point in the phone. Has the phone a few years, but now it's useless and it's expensive to fix the charging port.

Shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I bought nokia phone in an eir shop a month ago it works fine. Good battery life. 6.2 inch screen Before you buy a phone google phone model review. It uses standard android os

Iphones are for apple fans who want to use apple apps imessage and are willing to spend 400euro

I dont care about photos so I dont care about cameras 4k hdr I dont care about selfies or facetime or icloud

Just buy this years model if you buy a nokia phone

I used iphone before I just prefer android phones. I know every iphone is supposed to have great cameras. I dont take photos or selfies so I dont care

Any android phone can break if badly handled. Just read review. s look for specs ram screen size 5000ma battery

Post edited by riclad on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You need to know the technical specs of the phone before you compare them. Redmi do low end phones as well.

The current nokia phones are low to med end phones. Their most expensive phone is around €500. The dearest iPhone or Samsung about €2000. Dearest redmi about €1000

Dunno a lot but will certainly say that Nokia is better buy than Apple and Sony. Nokia might be more sturdy than Samsung if you treat your phone with minimal tlc

Advertisement