Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Cart recommendations.

Options
  • 08-12-2022 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all,

First time poster here,have taken up golf properly this year.Up to this would only have played 4 or 5 casual games with friends per year,having young children curtailed the ability to get out also but thankfully they are well by nappies stage now🙂

Till now have had a cheap 2 wheel pull trolley.Intend on treating myself to an electric cart as my home course has a few hilly holes and I’m not getting any younger.

Budget of 7-800 euro.Would people recommend Powakaddy or Motocaddy carts?……they seem to be popular from seeing them on courses.

Appreciate peoples experiences of the makes listed above.Would intend buying new and minding it well.

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I had a Motocaddy M3 Gps.

If an electric trolley is what you're after then I'd have no problem recommending it. Excellent build quality. Very easy to use. And it folds up very quickly and easily.

Mine had the 18hole battery in it but it was more than capable of doing 36 holes in a single charge. The gps fitted to the trolley is also very accurate and reliable and it presents the information in an easy to understand way.

Something to bear in mind is it doesnt come with a scorecard holder. If you want one, you'll need to buy that separately. Same goes for an umbrella holder etc. For the money, you'd think they would throw that in.

I didn't keep mine for long and ended up moving it on fairly quickly but that was just because it didn't really suit me and I wasn't getting the use from it. I found myself pushing it more often than not. And the few times I'd actually remember to use it as intended, I'd forget to press the stop button and end up chasing it down the fairway!

Great piece of kit though if that's what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭coillcam

I picked up the standard 18-hole Powakaddy ct6 last year from McGuirks and it's been a brilliant purchase. Can't remember if it was a sale or if I had a code but it saved a few bob on the RRP at the time.

I've used an equivalent M series Motocaddy as a rental a few times and can confirm they're both quality trolleys. The Powakaddy won for me as it folds away to a smaller size.

Picking a trolley comes down to budget and necessary features:

1. Battery - 18 holes is enough for 99% of punters IMO. Unless you actually play 27-36 holes regularly it's not worth the cost. Everything should be lithium now. More expensive but a lot lighter and they last longer too.
    2. GPS - If you have a watch or plan on getting one, then you definitely don't need it. Lasers also help. Loads of mobile apps have accurate gps/maps now for free anyway.
    3. DHC (downhill control) - essentially an automatic brake/gear that slows the cart down when you hit a steep slope. Unless your course is particularly undulating or you're elderly or have mobility issues I don't think this is an important feature.
    4. Support/Customer Service - Buy Irish or local if possible at all. You don't want to be dealing with a UK/EU retailer if something goes wrong.
    5. Warranty - ONLY IF you register with the manufacturers: Powakaddy give 3yr on the trolley and 5yr on the battery vs Motocaddy 2yr trolley and 5yr battery.
    6. Ex Rentals - Some courses and pro shops will sell their ex-rentals after a year of service BUT there's no warranty. Can be 1/2 the price of a new trolley sometimes.
    7. Accessories - An umbrella holder and a trolley case/bag is a must for me. My OH was very happy to see the car less dirty when I got a trolley case. A drinks holder is helpful but not essential and a scorecard holder is of no benefit to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Not the makes listed above Op, and I've no connection to them, but I've had a Golf Glider Microlite for 15 years now and its still going strong, playing a very hilly course. I've replaced maybe one tyre and a couple of small clips over this time. Actually now that I think about it, I had to get a new switch during the summer, think it was around €30. IMHO they're absolutely bulletproof and the lads over in GG are fantastic to deal with.

Note of caution, not all bags fit on it. Probably the only fault I have with it tbh. I've found Titleist bags don't fit well and Ping ones do seem to sit nicely on it. If you're happy to use a bungee cord or strap you'd probably get more types on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I would recommend as Russman does the golf glider. Irish made , parts, service easy. Anyone who has one swears by them.

I run a greenhills 20yrs now but not available anymore, and a bit like triggers brush at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭paulos53

Has anybody ever come across a Wishbone electric trolley? McGuirks are selling them for 400 euro which is suspiciously low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Golf Gliders are great workhorses and the best value out there. I had one for 12 years without an issue and sold it in order to get a newer version three years ago. My pals went through a variety of Motocaddy / Powercaddy models that seem to last about 3/4 years before they switched to the Gliders. I would say for me, its a case of substance over style.

Ps Lithium battery is a must btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

Was wondering about them too, price seems low you'd wonder about reliability

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Another vote for golf glider. Probably have mine close to 15 years also. Am only on my third battery but I do expect it to die within the next year or so

have replaced the switch, couple of clips the tyres and a repair job twice on cables. Unit itself has a lifetime warranty……. And you can see why, it’s indestructible.

i always deal with golf glider directly in churchtown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I see McGuirks have a deal at the moment in their sale for Wishbone electric trolleys:

Wishbone Neo 360 Electric Caddy Cart White Blue | Golf Store

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/wishbone-neo-360-electric-caddy-cart--white-blue/wis21b0201001

- Orders for Custom Clubs and Personalised Balls have longer lead times depending on the manufacturer (Our custom team will confirm lead time once the order for the custom product is placed).

200 off then bringing them down to 399, which seems pretty cheap for an electric trolley these days.

No idea on quality as I've never heard of the brand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Sorry Seve OB but I couldn't resist!

Us electric cart users have a saying:

Look after your electric cart...

• Advertisement

bit daft

my glider has the same chassis, same motor, same cables, same brackets and has just a few repairs

do you stick the same post up when people get their cars serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Runswithfeet

Thanks for all yere replies,gives me food for thought.Was looking at the Powakaddy FX3 22 which is available on Mc Guirks site without any accessories for €729 at mo.Decided to wait for New Year to see if there might be something more off in Sales.

Don’t often treat myself so not afraid to pay more for a good quality trolley that will last at least ten years.Some people recommending the golf glider trolleys,they look more ‘basic’ looking but that may not be a bad thing if there is less to go wrong with them!🙂

I see the Golf glider Micro lite priced at €695 without any accessories.Can you get an umbrella and drinks holder for the golf glider like you can for Powakaddy and Motocaddy?

Thanks for any replies.

yep I have an umbrella holder for golf glider. not sure if you can get a drink holder, I imagine they probably do one though

yes, they are a lot more rough and ready than the other models, but you will get forever out of them. my old man has one that is more than 20 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I would have to agree with everything said having had a golf glider for many years and have always found GG in Churchtown both speedy and very reasonable if ever I needed anything fixed. My last lithium battery from GG lasted for more than 5 years.

Advertisement