If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Requesting new infrastructure

  • 08-12-2022 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

    Does anyone know if there is a formal process for requesting or proposing new cycling or walking infrastructure on a very local level?

    To explain why I'm asking, I live within 500 metres of a park, 3 schools and a creche. There are thousands of houses within a 1k radius of these. Almost nobody cycles to the schools or creche. The roads around the schools are not for the faint of heart at 9am! There is a cycle lane on the main road but it is also a bus lane and used for parking. It leads to a big roundabout with no cycling infrastructure.

    However, there is a big network of generally quiet roads that link to each other and through the park that could easily provide walking and cycling routes to the schools, and creche. But there are no pedestrian crossings of any kind on any of the quiet roads. The park has no pedestrian crossings of any kind to access it. Cars always have priority over pedestrians. Similarly there are no speed limit signs and very few speed bumps or other traffic calming, which might make people feel more confident cycling on the quiet roads. Something to signpost more cyclable routes to the schools would make a difference. I'd like to be able to request/suggest pedestrian and bike crossings, road signs etc but can't find a way to so.

    I had a look online but all I could find was this, which seems to focus more on requesting getting something existing fixed than on new proposals. Does anyone know if anything else exists or do I have to go down the dreaded 'ask your TD' route?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

    more 'ask your councillor' route first i think.

    where in dublin is it?

  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

    If its active travel infrastructure then get in touch with your nearest Green Party or Soc Dems councillor. I've always found them to be the most engaging from personal experience when requesting new AT infrastructure.

  • Registered Users Posts: 40 breadevery

    It's Ballyfermot. Unfortunately, I've heard that the schools themselves have been onto the council trying to get bollards to prevent illegal parking and trying to prevent their gateway being used as a drop off, and have had no luck so I was hoping there might also be alternativesto try to put pressure on from various angles. I suppose its the councillor route for me too :(

  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

    every council is now supposed to have an "active travel unit" within their transportation section - see if you can get an email or phone number for them.

  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

    if you're in ballyfermot-drimnagh, you've no GP or SD councillors.

  • Advertisement