Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repair or sell as a project? Advice needed

Options
  • 07-12-2022 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Any input appreciated here. I have a 1986 Mercedes 190D 2.5 automatic. It failed the NCT a couple of years ago and I just haven’t had the time to get it fixed.

It needs welding on one sill where there is a hole but who knows what the welder will find when he cleans the area back. New brake lines and a new windscreen as there is a crack in the driver’s line of vision.

Other than that, the car is in very good nick, paint, tyres and interior are really good. Have service history back to 1994 on it. Owner previous to me had it 24 years. I’ve taken it for a few spins and it still drives perfectly.

I’m just wondering would it be worth my while doing the work and getting it tested or would someone buy it as is?

Cheers

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Tyres might now have flat spots if sitting for 2 years.

Sills as you say can be tricky and depends on where it is on visible paintwork or underneath car.

I take it rust on metal brake pipes/and or flexy pipes perishing as how visible to access the pipes.

Windscreen is that in a rubber surround or bonded in and could be pricy.

Insurance will be out and is hard to get , tax as main car or classic car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I could get the windscreen replaced under my insurance, come to think of it.

Just don’t have the motivation to get the work done on it and I wonder would I be wasting my time advertising it in its current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

A few pics would help

I have it in a yard at the moment. When I roll it out I’ll post up a few pics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Its worth your while fixing it if you like it - and will use it. Plenty of lads are after good projects though - can't see you having a problem selling it as it is, especially if the paintwork is in good nick as you say.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies folks.

It was very useful to me just to start this. I now think I actually don’t have a lot to do on it. I’ll take it to my welder in the New Year and get him to see how bad the rust is as a start.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Be prepared when your welder guy starts digging, coz its gonna get worse, not better😉

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How would your insurance cover the cost of a replacement windscreen of an uninsured car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Surbhi Jais

hello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I assume the implication was that the crack would only 'occur' after the car was insured.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement