Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Tax Credit Transfer - Joint assessment

Options
  • 06-12-2022 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello Everyone,

I checked the Revenue site and this forum(many topics) but I could not find this info.

I work and pay PAYE but my spouse does not work. When I update my civil status to 'Married', both spouse gets 1,700 Euros personal tax credit or

one of us can claim it?

I wonder if my personal tax credit becomes 1,700 Euros +1,700 Euros =3,400 Euros with marriage and plus 1,700 Euros employee tax credit, it will be 5,100 Euros and my spouse personal tax credit becomes 1,700 in own account even it will be unused. My spouse can not use 1,700 Euros as still not working and I am thinking about transfering that 1,700 Euros to myself for tax credits. I read that personal tax credits could be transferrable but I was not sure if spouse can transfer 1,700 Euros or 1,700/2 Euros.

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭downtheroad

2 x personal tax credits plus 1 x PAYE tax credit is what applies to your scenario, totalling €5,100 for 2022.

You should also have an increased standard tax band of €45,800.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Atlasden

Thank you so much for the answer.

Does my spouse also get €1,700 for personal tax credit on own Revenue account and can she transfer that €1,700 to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Every one has one credit; the personal one of 1700, the other credit you have is an employee credit also 1700. You only get the employee credit if you are employed through the PAYE system and it is not transferrable, so if your wife is not working she only gets 1x1700 but you have 2x1700, before any transfers.

If she has no income she should transfer her credit to you, so she then would have 0 and you have 5100 total. You can check your tax credit cert to see how many you currently have. If she has no income the system is supposed to default the transferrable credits to the earning spouse, but if it has not happened it can be adjusted via revenue account, along with giving you the increased band of 45.8k. If your wife is in receipt of any social welfare, or you claim the home carer tax credit, you may be limited in the amount of personal credits or bands you can transfer.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Then it will be €5,100(€3,400 with the increase from €1,700 as personal tax credit after marriage/joint assesment + €1,700 employee tax credit) + €1,700(when it is added from transfering her tax credit)= Total €6,800.

I need to call revenue and ask for tax credit transfer before end of year 2022 I think. I hope I can reach them via phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Only 3400 + 1700 max, unless you have other credits. 5100 would likely include hers already.

• Advertisement

Advertisement