Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning and Operating a Coffee Container Business. Advice? Tips? Pros? Cons?

Options
  • 06-12-2022 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all. New to this but just looking for some advice. All appreciated. Even the negative ones.My background is retail and accountancy.

Im planning to open a coffee pod. The location is an ideal location. Huge passing trade and with new roads, the passing trade is avoiding most of the retailers in the town.

So far we have discussed a leasing option of a coffee pod. Its a reasonable rate as is the site location rent. We have had discussions with the main wholesaler groups. Barrys (costcutters) offering the greatest deals for minerals and sweets and frozen bakery products etc. Pepsico have offered a very good deal to us but only if we do not stock Tayto products (however not offering Tayto seems wrong given how popular they are). Discussed pre packed sandwhiches and salads with Freshways and enquired about a Slushee machine and they are very much on board. We would also stock disposable vapes (popular with a good margin). And obviously we have decided on our coffee supplier (again high margin product).

The container would be a drive thru style business.

In an ideal world wed have a food prep area but that seems unfeasible at the moment.

Thoughts? Etc?

Post edited by ACoffeeLover on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There are a good few coffee shop threads on here for you to read but your drive-through is different and will suit lots of people who haven’t the time, or inclination to get out of their vehicle.

Disposable vapes are, quite rightly, going to be banned. Be careful you don’t get left with too much stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ACoffeeLover

Thanks and very true on the disposable vapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noahungry

I think you have a very good business idea and I see you did the research needed, which is not always the case, unfortunately. Couldn't agree more about the disposable vapes, although I do think, considering how widely used they are at the moment, that you could stock a small quantity. Pre-packed sandwiches and salads - absolutely! I wish you the best of luck and I hope you'll come back to tell us about your success!

Thanks. From what i understand any ban on the vape products would be gradual rather than immediate. That would follow similar lines to, for example, the plain packaging cigarettes introduction.

But thanks for the tips because there is no guarantee that it would be gradual.

Been thinking about this.

Coffee can take ages to prepare. It’s one thing to have five/six people standing in front of you in a queue inside a cafe. If I see five or six cars in front of me in a drive thru, I might say feck it, I’ll pass this time. Keep this in mind when you are considering what machine(s) to go with. If people order an Americano, maybe pour from a percolator? Get them in and out as quickly as you can

You thought about which coffee bean to use? Personally, my favourite is Illy coffee. My least favourite is Insomnia coffee - I’ve tasted sweeter battery acid.

Good luck to you! ☕️

• Advertisement

Unfortunately that is a major draw back and cars take up huge room in a queue too. That is one of the reasons why we have avoided offering food prep. We would be using two coffee machines to try improve speed. Drive thrus are also far more labour intensive. I suppose our hope would be the convenience factor with a drive thru (not needing to get out of ones car, finding a space etc). But you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭sugarman20

I'd be interested to hear too. A business like this you really need to have a very good location. There are loads of these converted trailers/containers up on the likes of DoneDeal or Adverts but not one location for sale or lease.

Hi Julia. Sorry im very late with the reply. Because i had experience in retail, i already knew the local reps so for me it really was just ringing up each individual rep to see what they could offer. Finalising the agreement we spoke over microsoft teams but a phone call would suffice early on. For you, Id duggest emailing all wholesalers and they will return contact with your local reps details or pass your details on to the local rep. Be sure to also contact brands themselves like Coca Cola or whomever.

So I launched late January. We went with automated coffee machines to speed up the process. Its been a really good ride so far. The locals and passerbys have been really receptive to the model. Its definitely hard work since the idea creates max labour rather than them walking in picking up their own stuff etc like a real shop. We are launching a food prep in our container very soon. Not deli food but just our own sandwiches and salads, bakery goods and some hot lunches (asian and irish inspired).

If you want any details or help.. pm no problem. Us entrepreneurs got to stick together.

Yup we were blessed with our location. Could not ask for much more, to be honest. Sometimes the council has great land available and many of them are trailers so easily moved so no long contracts. We have a shipping container style container though so its still temporary but not easy to move.

I think if i was dipping my foot in, Id get a cheap trailer on donedeal and hit the town markets.

Was flying Ryanair today and thought of you OP. When I asked for coffee I got a cup that had ground coffee in it with hot water added. A filter in the lid kept the coffee grinds in the cup. Instant ground coffee. Was not bad at all. Coffee was from Lavazza.

• Advertisement
Advertisement