Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK retailers with "EU" sites

Options
  • 06-12-2022 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I recently bought a Christmas gift from a UK retailer who directed me to their "EU" site and I paid €20 (in Euros as well - not sterling) and €9 for delivery. Grand. It arrives in Ireland and as one of the items was a food container manufactured in China, a week was spent back and forth trying to get loads of documents in order for it to be "examined". That finally gets over the line and I'm told I have to pay nearly €60 in charges for it.

There are so many of these UK retailers with the EU option and I've been aware of this when buying from them in case there's an issue. There hasn't been before now but I'm also not checking the item of origin for every item I might buy online. How is this OK? I don't have much faith in the CCPC as they've not been very helpful in the past but is this within their remit?

I'm certain I'm not the first person to be stung by this but I'm so fed up with various retailers and services skirting around legality. My other bug bear is the renewal of trial subscription services you have to opt OUT of, rather than into. Looking at you Ancestry.com. I'm a pretty careful consumer but it feels like there are more and more ways retailers are deceptive and less ways for recourse.

I've told the courier company they can return it.

EDIT: Plot thickens. Apparently €45 of those charges is a "bonded storage fee" because it took so long to get the documents for the item.

Advertisement