Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat From Sky

Options
  • 05-12-2022 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi

I'd really appreciate any help on this - I'm looking to give up Sky subscription and get Freesat from Sky but tried ringing Sky a few times and anyone I talk to says they don't know anything about it and I think they are genuine but I have read it is available although Sky are keeping quiet so if anyone knows how I can get it.

About FreeSat from Sky - I'm in NI so if I was able to get FSFS will I be able to get RTE1/2 and TG4 as they are available on Freeview and my current Sky package and also will I be able to record them

If not anyone know an easy way to get Freesat but also the RTE channels

Thanks in advance for any help given

Eamon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭JamBur

They dont provide it. Cancel your Sky service. All you need is the dish. Does you TV have a satellite tuner? If it does you can tune in the free channels through that. Otherwise look up a Freesat box. What part of the country are you in?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Freesat from Sky isn’t available any more, apparently. Even when it was you wouldn’t have been able to pick up RTE on it as it requires a sub. The Sky Q lite (might have a different name in the U.K.) package has replaced it but they want you to take a broadband sub to get it. Not sure if that has RTE in NI (it does in ROI).

Your better bet if you want to leave Sky entirely might be Freeview instead, if you can pick up the NI mini mux that carries RTE and TG4, or better again Saorview if you live closer to the border.

Also to note, if you have Sky+HD, a cancelled Sky sub will give you the same line up as Freesat from Sky would have. (With Sky Q you have to give back the box, unfortunately). That won’t do you for RTE though.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭eamonpk

H JamBur and icdg

Much appreciated for the answers - I am just North of Belfast and unfortunately I get a very weak signal from Carnmoney - It's a much smaller transmitter as Belfast mountains block the main transmitter (Divis I think)

That is why I have a Freesat box temporarily to try out before I decide to ditch Sky - Decent number of channels, good picture and the box I have ties in the catch up services and streaming apps nearly as neatly as Sky.

Strangely with Freeview the only channels I get decent are RTE1/2/4 so presently I am getting 3 Irish channels through Freeview and all the free UK channels through FreeSat

I presently get RTE with my basic Sky subscription - so does FreeSat From Sky definitely not have RTE?

I believe there are boxes that will combine Saorview and FreeSat - I presume that they could combine Freeview and FreeSat as well? Are they any good - I'm looking for a straightforward option that Sky provided me up to now - UK and main RTE - but without a subscription?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted - I know I could just hook up my Freeview box and FreeSat box but would be neater if one box did it together

Thanks

Eamon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I have just bought a new TV and it will do exactly what you want OP. Possible you don't want a new TV, but it is a good bit of info for anyone else who might be looking for a similar set up.

So for years I had a regular HD TV with nothing smart on it and no sat tuners. I had an old Sky Box for the free satellite channels and an aerial on the roof for Saorview. I just got a Sony TV so might not work with other brands. (It's a 2 year old model, so end of line but I imagine will be available in all their more modern TV's) It has twin Satellite tuners, Saorview tuner and a USB slot for recording. The twin satellite tuners is important I think as it allows you to watch one station while recording another. You can record 2 sats while watching saorview and record saorview while watching sats or some of the smart tv app's. The recording does also work while tv is turned off. I enquired a number of times and was always old this is not possible, but having just bought a TV, I can confirm it 100% works fine and its great option for a free setup with no fuss/extra boxes and reduced cables. I was told numerous times by retailers that none of this is possible.... but I have confirmed first hand, it does work.

the EPG is pretty good, gives you a full 7 days and pretty much integrates the 2 systems and there is seemless move from satellite to saorview stations. it was a pain before to change from one input to another and grab the different remote.

I'm only using this for the last week so not fully up to speed on it yet and I haven't tried series link on anything. i don't think pausing live TV works either, although I think I only tried that on Saorview stations so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

Can you say the exact model number as lots of people have had trouble with sony. I have a sony 43, with GOOGLE TV and with one sat tuner and saorview. It says if I record saorview I cant watch sat and vice versa but never tried it. Also problems with 7 day epg. Its no big deal as I have it hooked up to an enigma 2 box with a sky skin and its fine.

Freesat is a standalone system as a joint venture with ITV and BBC TV and they have their own boxes but you wont get some channels, I think sky news is one of them. In the old days when BBC and ITV were encrypted you needed a sky viewing card and at the time they called it freesat. I think cards were £20.00.

The best method is to get a box like the Zgemma H7S but you need to do a bit of reading. Once set up its ace. I expect it will work for freeview as well. You just connect the 2 sat cables and the aerial. Satworld load the software.

give them a ring

https://www.satworld.ie/zgemma-h7s-4k-uhd-500gb-hdd.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

this one

I only briefly plugged in the Satellite to give a quick test so haven't really given that the full beans yet. I Just signed up for SKY TV for a year (cause it was €25 per month cheaper than what I had been paying for just internet), so when Sky sub is over, I'll be running the Satellite direct to the TV

Advertisement