Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Trying to Uninstall Bull Guard VPN

Options
  • 04-12-2022 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

My Bull Guard Vpn is out of subscription and I want to uninstall it from my windows 7 laptop.

There is no uninstall option in the windows start menu so I went to Add/Remove programs in control panel and there were 2 listings, bull guard vpn and bull guard vpn tap adaptor. I removed Tap adaptor first, then I went to remove the other bull guard vpn listing and it said there was an error that it may be already removed and did i want to remove the label from the programs list. I clicked ok, and both labels are gone from add/remove programs.

I restarted the laptop.

But the shortcut is still on the desktop and in the windows start menu programs list. When I click these shortcuts the program opens as its still on the computer. I found the bull guard vpn files / folder still in the windows > programs folders. Should I just delete this folder or is there a better way to actually uninstall it?

I googled and found the below link to a program "Advanced Uninstaller Pro" to help uninstall it, I downloaded it, but before opening/installing I checked the file via VirusTotal and it found 3 trojans so I didn't install it obviously.

https://www.advanceduninstaller.com/BullGuard-VPN-a661256c74455dbcb75ab5d2e2d91c7b-application.htm

I also tried pasting this line in "command window" as suggested in the link above but it just says file path can't be found.

C:\ProgramData\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\{66221B7D-3461-4D95-8C2E-4DF7BAB4E23F}\BullGuardVPNSetup.exe /i {66221B7D-3461-4D95-8C2E-4DF7BAB4E23F} AI_UNINSTALLER_CTP=1

Can anyone help me to uninstall it please? I can't find any help topics on the bull guard website.

Pic of trojan; VirusTotal results

[img]https://i.ibb.co/P5t76Tm/Advance-Uninstaller-Pro-Trojan-pic.png[/img]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BishopBrennen

So I manually deleted the bullguard files in the Program Files x86 and I can't delete them all.

I get the error message saying files can't be deleted because "The file is open in Bullguard Vpn Service".

Can anyone tell me how I can delete these files, obviously BUllguard vpn isn't open as I have ddeleted the majority of it and it's .exe files within the C windows x86 folder.

How can I check which programs that are running has the bullguard vpn files open that I'm trying to delete?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It might be you went wrong way around. As per article below, you should uninstall VPN part first, TAP thereafter.

https://www.bullguard.com/support/product-guides/desktop-vpn/guides-for-current-version/uninstall.aspx

I would suggest to contact bull's support for advise.

You could try attempt to install again, then proceed to uninstall in the right order. This should stop and remove intended services and cleanup(providing well written software)

I would not recommend to install any third party tools, unless advised by bull's

Command you ran cant do thing, as its calling for "C:\ProgramData\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\..." - program that you have not installed , hence error

You wont be able to delete some remaining folders/file as per your own post "The file is open in Bullguard Vpn Service" - you need to stop and disable that service, could be more than one.

Thanks for the reply and link to Bullguard uninstall procedure, I hadn't seen that.

"You wont be able to delete some remaining folders/file as per your own post "The file is open in Bullguard Vpn Service" - you need to stop and disable that service, could be more than one."

Is there any way for me to check where that open Vpn Service program can be found for me to stop it running? I don't see it in task manager applications. Would it be in Task manager "services", I don't see anything in there with bullguard in the name but theres a load of things listed. Is there a way to find what other program has it open?

I can't reinstall it all and start again I don't think as I deleted the install files and bullguard has changed to Norton now so it's all Norton software now.

I actually managed to delete the folders, I went into Task Manager services, and into another "services" down the bottom of this tab and "Bullguard Vpn Service" was listed which I right clicked and stopped. Then Icould delete all the files in C programs x86.

I just have 1 question

I have everything relating to bullguard vpn deleted / removed, but "Bullguard Vpn Service" is still listed in Task manager "services" and I have "disabled" it. Should it be listed here or can I remove it from here too?

Was going to post this, but i see you figured out

Get-Service | select-object Status, Name, DisplayName | Export-Csv -Path "$env:HOMEPATH\Desktop\Services.csv" -NoTypeInformation

Get-Process | select-object Name, Description, Company, Path | Export-Csv -Path "$env:HOMEPATH\Desktop\Processes.csv" -NoTypeInformation

Paste each in Powershell and hit Enter after each. It will create two csv files on your desktop, you can review in notepad or if you have in excel/google sheets

you can start services MMC from same powershell window - just type services.msc and hit Enter

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Advertisement

As you have not uninstalled software properly and just deleted its folders, you have remnants still on your system. To completely clean it might/will take you to mess with registry and would not recommend to go there without proper knowledge what you are intend to do there.

Advertisement