Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for help to buy a workstation laptop please

• 03-12-2022 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

First of all I would like to say thanks again to everyone here who helps people like me. I feel like you guys should be rewarded, the work you do is fantastic. I still see the same people here from 5 years ago helping out people like me. You really are the good guys in my opinion.

I have a decent PC that I got help with building here in early 2017. It prob needs an upgrade at this stage (I will be back here asking for advice on this soon) but runs so well and I love it. The best computer I ever had and I will never buy a prebuilt PC again. Ty.

At the moment I'm looking for help to buy a laptop for working on when I am abroad or away from my home please.

• I use resource intensive programs so processor, cache and ram are important to me mostly. The more powerful my machine, the better the processor and RAM, the quicker my jobs will run.
    • I would like a min of 32gb ram but ideally more. 32gb could do where I do some light work on laptop when away from office.
    • A bigger display would be handy so 16 inch+ ideally but I also have an option of using monitors.
    • I do not play games, I might play civilisation once a year for 2 weeks straight but then throw it away as it takes up too much of my life, apart from that I rarely play games anymore. So I think I can save some cash on the graphics card maybe?
    • I want windows 11
    • I do not really need much space on the hard drive, 512GB to 1TB is sufficient for me.
    • Maybe I left out things that are important? I am not great at this stuff and only have rough ideas of what I need.

My budget is €2000ish max. Ideally I would like to buy something for €1500 or < in the sales. I just wanted some direction from you guys please? I can google search and youtube search the best workstation laptops in 2022 but thought I would come here and ask first as I have had a great experience from last time therefore a lot of respect for the people here and the advice they give regarding buying and building computers and laptops.

Thanks a million for your time.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Yes if you havnt got anything now wait until the sales as your bound to get a lot of offers then

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ZingK

I changed my mind after realising I am not crazy about laptops after using one over the Christmas. I much prefer a good PC and will just wait to update my current one when the time is right.

Thanks Guys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

if your use to and can manage and swap out components of your pc your better doing that as you can easily switch a keyboard - mouse etc and the gpus are more powerful

laptops are like prebuilds there there and ready to go and no building to be done and less space - which has led to desktop replacement laptops / with all the releases in the next month or 2 there should be a lot of options out there

Advertisement