Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York

Options
  • 02-12-2022 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't been to New York in 20 years ...and was listening to the Radio and someone said ...The city we loved has changed a good bit along with the America we loved...

We always wanted to bring our two kids (older teens) to New York to see the big city , life, shows general atmosphere of New York.

But has anyone been lately...noticed a change and is it suitable for a city break with older teens ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭VG31

I went in October and had a great time. It was my first time in NY so can't compare it to years ago. I wouldn't take much notice of one person's statement like that on the radio. People everywhere say things like that. That just sounds like the usual good old days nostalgia.

It's definitely suitable for older teens. I saw a lot of older teenagers and people in their 20s with their parents there.

I was warned how expensive it was over there for everything but didn't find it that bad TBH. I was expecting something like Switzerland prices. Eating out was a little more expensive than here on average when you add on the tips. The subway is a very cheap way to get around. Hotels are very expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Friends were there recently, crazy expensive. 20% dearer on exchange rates alone , tip expectations is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Every city changes over time.

NY is a great experience now as ever.

Your kids are lucky.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've been there 6 times since 2000. It's as fun and interesting as it always was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Went for the first time in April, it was amazing. Better than I expected and probably my favourite city I've been to. Loads to do there for older teenagers, they would have a great time as would you. It is very expensive though, that took me by surprise a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

We are heading over in early November ...

Cant wait.... Its been 15 yrs since i was there last !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

We were there back in March for a week and had a great time. It is expensive to eat and drink. But transportation is cheapish and there is so much to do. We could have stayed another week and still only scratch the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

How much is a taxi from jfk to manhattan these days? I think it was $40/45 last time i was there in 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Homer

its a fixed price if using a regular taxi service outside arrivals and I think about $70 but may be an additional charge during peak times. Could try uber which might work out a little more but a nicer ride

Advertisement