Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it OK to..?

Options
  • 02-12-2022 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

I don't know what category to post this in but anyway.. If you're out walking your dog and he's on a lead and some other fellas dog who's running loose comes and goes for your dog is it OK to hit the other fella with your stick? I know that strictly speaking it's illegal but morally is it wrong? I haven't done it yet BTW but I did tell a fella this morning that the next time it happens it's him I'll be hitting with the stick not his dog.

Post edited by Nody on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I wouldn't put it in the pet section anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:

Moved from Anime & Manga to Pets & Pet care, note a new charter is in effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It was a terrier, a jack Russell, the other fella had. Those dogs were bred for killing rats. Anyone who keeps them as a household pet knows nothing about dogs and anyone who let's them roam loose should be shot!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hello op,

This is the Pets Forum you're in now. Please take note that comments that wipe out an entire breed in one fell swoop aren't appropriate for this forum. Neither is it permitted to threaten violence towards people or animals.

Have a read of the charter before posting again.

Thanks,

DBB

• Advertisement

Thanks, makes sense I guess. Although I think you can often tell a lot about the owner from the sort of dog they keep. I think I'd have a lot more in common with a goldendoodle owner than I would with an owner of a jack Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Did you or your pet display any murine characteristics, this may have confused the JR and attracted him to you, but I always understood that JR's were bred for fox hunting and make great pets but they dont suffer fools gladly.Have to agree that every dog should be on a lead though.

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/jack-russell-terrier#/slide/1

Couldn't be arsed googling "murine characteristics " but no jac Russell's were always used by farmers for killing rats. Never intended to be household pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Their hard work alright but an experienced dog person can get the best out of them, not suitable for farmers or inexperienced owners who might prefer a more docile breed.BTW telling a another person that you intend to assault them with a stick is not the smartest move.

You have a point. I probably shouldn't have tipped him off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

We have this issue as neither of ours enjoy or will tolerate another dog bounding towards them. One is always on lead & would have no where to go and the other will jump up to my arms to scramble to my shoulder, she’s super trained and does agility but will not take very kindly to other dogs bounding up to us.

As for the stick, use it to bang on the ground and a loud sharp no will generally startle and stop a bounding dog, failing that I throw food towards the dog and with my two we turn & go the other way.

I wouldn’t threaten someone or hit them or their dog that’s just asking for trouble…

Advertisement