Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray Foam Insulation Costs Dublin

Options
  • 02-12-2022 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Currently considering spray foam insulation for our attic. Has anyone any recent costs they could share? I have one quote of just over €3k for (before grant) 100mm spray foam with breathable card, no idea if this is good or bad. Just over 100 sq m to be done

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Not answering your question here but beware of spray foam company claims on air tightness.

When testing for air tightness, I find only about 5% of spray foam applications to be in any way effective.

Caveat emptor!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Yep. I had my attic done this year, sark-carded properly, 140mm of foam, 70 sqm space, €1800. No applicable grant, as there would have needed to have been additional soffit vents which they say might have been more than €1500 extra. €3k sounds in the ballpark, if you need the additional vents. Dramatic improvement to the heat retention, and our BER got a very nice bump too, and we got a cheaper mortgage as a result (the solar PV done at the same time contributed).

I then had the same crowd (Adrian from ProSprayFoams) back a few months later to card and spray another roof space, about 40sqm, which was under their minimum job size of €1200, which is what I paid them. Would have been less to have them do both in the same sitting, but there was no access or floor to the second roof space on the first date.

Two neighbours had their attics (both in Julie's case) done a few weeks later. Both very happy.

Our temps went up about 4-5* post spray in the case of the second roofspace (didn't measure temp on the first one).

Average humidity is 69%, and that's fine. 'cardboard test' left up there didn't go mouldy, where it had prior to the work.

I couldn't recommend highly enough getting it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Just be aware they are cases of mortgage lenders refusing to remortgage people's homes or approve new mortgages for the purchase of homes in the UK that have had spray foam insulation applied.

It is a major issue to be aware of if you're considering it. The crux of the issue is that assessors for mortgage lenders are unable to inspect roofs which have spray foam insulation applied and in the cases where the owner cannot provide details of the type of spray foam used lenders have rejected the application. Reason given is that there's no way of determining the condition of the roof behind the spray foam.

If it's an issue in the UK it'll likely be an issue here soon.

More details can be found here >

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/spray-foam-insulation-and-mortgages/

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Advertisement