Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skipping year(s) for CGT carried losses?

Options
  • 30-11-2022 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

eg if I’m carrying losses from 2019 but am then tax resident elsewhere for 2020 (foreign work contract) but am them tax resident again for 2021 or 2022, can I carry the 2019 losses over for CGT purposes?

And if this is possible is there a limit on years that can be skipped?

Tried to call the revenue helpline but so busy they didn’t even let me queue 😂

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Bump, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭plhealy2000

Unused losses would be available in future years. There is no limit on when they can be used.

The residency point is more complicated as you would at least be ordinarily resident and probably resident in 2020 so cgt would still likely apply to any disposal in 2020.

Speak to an accountant to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Thanks @plhealy2000, no I was actually asking if that losses wouldn’t be “cleared” if I spent an arbitrary amount of time in the middle as non-resident.

Sounds like it wouldn’t?

Advertisement