Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre internet behaviour

Options
  • 28-11-2022 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I have a set top box (Zgemma linux OS) and Amazon firestick connected to a television on the opposite side of the house to my Eir router (Huawei). I use powerline adapters and a switch array to allow me to connect the set top box and firestick to the internet via ethernet cables with excellent connections (for the last 2 years).

I bought a TP link travel router the other day to give a WI-FI access point in the same room as the television. I connected the travel router by ethernet cable to the switch and was delighted to see a stable 95Mb/s both up and down:

However, after a while the connection of the set top box and any device connected to the wifi tanks in speed (10Mp/s down, 1Mps up, very unstable)

What I think is happening is the set top box is drawing internet from the travel router rather than directly from the powerline adapter. The reason I think this is because I had a static IP assigned to the set top box (xxx.xx.1) but when I checked in the router settings it had reassigned to xxx.xx.100 and the speeds of the set top box tended to match the bad performance of the devices connected by wifi.

After a while of checking through the router settings I'm stumped as to how I can force the set top box to stick to it's static IP and not change to the travel router.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

Advertisement