Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone plan for use between USA and Ireland, where activation lasts awhile

Options
  • 27-11-2022 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭

The international phone plans I've looked at in the US, either T-Mobile, Google Fi, or Verizon, all follow a model where you live in the US, go on a trip, and as soon as you're overseas your phone works fine but for a limited time - typically 3 months.

I travel to and fro for extended times, and I'd like relatives and friends to use my US number while I'm here, even if it's been 6 months since I've been in the US.

Is there a plan that will work? Currently using Skype forwarding to accomplish this, but @#$@# Skype doesn't do texts right (sometimes they come through, sometimes they don't.) Not sure if there's a better VOIP solution out there than Skype though and it's been good about forwarding to my local Irish number reliably.

Thanks for suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

WhatsApp surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Not everyone contacting me from the US will use Whatsapp. Older folks don't have smartphones or computers. Some might even still have landlines!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭KildareP

You're not going to get a plan in all likelihood from the traditional operators, unless it's a corporate plan but these tend to be significantly higher in price.

Your best bet is to use something like a Worldsim -https://www.worldsim.com/international-sim-card.

It's a top-up or pay as you go plan and your credit is valid for 1-year.

You can add both a US number for €1.30/month and an Irish number for €2.53/month to the one SIM.

US to US on AT&T: Calls out: €0.12/min... Calls in: €0.02/min... Texts out: €0.06/SMS

US to Ireland on AT&T: Calls out: €0.14/min... Calls in: €0.02/min... Texts out: €0.14/SMS

Ireland to US on Vodafone: Calls out: €0.17/min... Calls in: Free... Texts out: €0.06/SMS

Ireland to Ireland on Vodafone: Calls out: €0.12/min... Calls in: Free... Texts out: €0.15/SMS

Be careful though, as I've found out the rates are NOT the same for all networks in each country and the Worldsim will hop around the strongest network at any given time and your rates will thus change accordingly.

Example, T-Mobile is €0.30/min to make but Free to take, compared to AT&T €0.12/min to make and €0.02/min to take.

While Three is €0.36/min to make but Free to take compared to Vodafone €0.17/min to make and Free to take.

You'd be as well off manually selecting your preferred network when you arrive either side according to what rates are best for your use rather than leave the phone on Automatic.

For data, buy a bundle on the WorldSIM: https://www.worldsim.com/data-bundles

Or if you have an eSIM capable phone look at TruPhone: https://www.truphone.com/consumer/esim-for-smartphone/#local or GoMoWorld: https://www.gomoworld.com/

Although to be honest if you have a dual physical SIM phone you're probably as well off to buy a throw away local SIM each time you arrive into a country for data as chances are you'll get unlimited domestic plans for around the same price you'd pay WorldSIM/TruPhone for 20GB...

Post edited by KildareP on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know you mentioned SMS as a requirement but that is really going to narrow your choices. You also mention some folk may not be using smartphones or be on a landline.

WhatsApp as already suggested and rejected is the easiest and cheapest way for the type of connection you want but understand your rejection.

Next options are perhaps a SIP/VOIP account with SMS push functionality? Add that as a "new" number to your phone and it stays active as long as you pay for.

VOIP (Skype for example) doesn't do SMS particularly well. They claim to, but many a time the messages don't come through at all, or take profound amounts of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭banie01

True. But you are trying to get a solution that basically boils down to either a World Sim, VOIP or an app.

World SIM incurs fairly high cost. VOIP has issues with SMS handling and you've ruled out an app on the basis of convenience for older folk and non smartphone users.

Seeking that convenience for folk contacting you, pushes you towards either cost or compromise IMO.

The VOIP number and perhaps a chat with whomever would be sending SMS to call instead?

The World Sim will do what you want but pricier than VOIP.

The "easy" solution is WhatsApp/Viber/FBmessenger and dragging some of the technophobes along with you.

It's an interesting conundrum and I hope that if/when you get a solution? That you'll share it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭WealthyB

I'd suggest the following providers as great eSIM options, but crucially they offer Data-Only plans:

https://cellulardata.ubigi.com/

https://www.airalo.com

Thanks. My next problem will be 2-factor authentication. VOIP doesn't appear to work with that. I wonder if it will work with something like Worldsim; I'd be inclined to think it wouldn't since the sender, would be sending to Worldsim's virtual number, which reaches some carrier in the US (I think their default is AT&T Wireless) who then forward it on to Worldsim in the UK who then would send it to me in Ireland. Surely two-factor things are more than just simple texts.

Advertisement