Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mending a cheap Alcatel mobile

Options
  • 27-11-2022 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

It fell out of my pocket on the beach and I was lucky to retrieve it in the gathering gloom and the incoming tide.

It worked well but the centre of the screen was black where the seawater had got in.

I left it for a few days behind the range of the improvement was really very slow.

So I put it a little closer to the heat and now it still works and looks the same except for the minor detail that it doesn't get a signal and so it won't ring out or receive any calls

Is there any path to improvement or is my phone a dead parrot?

I have a photo I can provide if anyone wants to see.

It will only cost me about 20 eu to replace it but I will probably still try to fix it until it falls apart in my hands (probably)

:-)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll spend more than 20 quid getting the tools to try open a modern phone.

The likelihood is that the main board is damaged at a component level, and will likely get worse over time due to salt inside the phone. So you'd need to replace the entire board, which would also be over 20 quid.

Just buy a new phone. TCL stuff (Alcatel is one of their brands these days) is disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭amandstu

Actually the signal has come back.I think it must have been a part of the house that is out of range.

So ,it is probably just the screen that is damaged

I open the phone up each night to dry out and hopefully ,eventually the black circle in the middle of the small screen will shrink so that I can access any texts I get

Since I only use this phone to receive calls from one other number, I am not too bothered by the handicap but of course it is like an itch and I will keep trying to nurse this phone back to full functionality -even if it succumbs to damage from salt after that ;-)

(I do have a proper smartphone as well-that has had a broken screen for a good few years now but which still does the job)

Advertisement