Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Olympus

Options
  • 25-11-2022 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

The dark evenings & wet days have got me thinking about trips for next year!! Anyone hike Mount Olympus & that area? As a solo female traveller, joining a group would be the best option....any input gratefully appreciated! Looking at late September/October.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I posted this way back in 2012 to someone else interested in Mt. Olympus. At the time I went with a company called "Explore Worldwide" who do group trips.

My original post below - hope it helps.

I did that specific route way back in August 1995. It's tough but easy enough for someone who has no climbing skills. On day 1 we walked up through fragrent pine forest to a basic hostel/lodge, surrounded by pines and perched on a ridge. We stayed overnight in a dormitory and at first light made for the summit. It's not technical - there is a good trail all the way up - takes about 4-5 hours from the lodge (i think - it was 17 years ago!). There is a large flat expense at the top of the switchback trail, good for a rest stop - you then make for the summit along a narrow ridge (which is again not technical but not suitable for people who have no head for heights).

You can get a cooked meal in the lodge - its basic but filling. At the time all food and drink had to be delivered by Donkey as there are no paved roads - might have changed by now.

Be warned - it gets cold at night in lodge, even in August in Greece and you can expect to still find snow in shaded areas near the summit. A good quality fleece and waterproof jacket are a must.

The early morning ascent to the summit I found hard (and I was well fit in 1995) but should be within the capabilities of a reasonably fit person.

After that we walked down, past the lodge to a road where a hired bus picked us up.

BTW - sunrise is not to be missed as the sun paints the summit golden from our start position at the lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Overdehils

Thanks so much dogmatic.....great to get feedback! 🙂

Advertisement