Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sensor / app to measure oil consumption

• 25-11-2022 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

just wondering if anyone has come across anything that can do this?

would love to find out the energy required to heat the house 1 degree increase = x units

was thinking would a smart plug on the pump determine how long the pump runs which could roughly translate to kerosene use?

alternatively would the amount of time the hive was boosting vs energy increase give the kWh

I know I could measure the oil difference each year but there’s too many variables to judge that with any accuracy

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

@DrPhilG what do you use to measure your oil? I know you said it can jump about a bit but some measurement is better than none.

Another option would be a heat meter

but they are a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Kingspan Sensit app.

Yeah it's not perfect, but it's good. For example these days I use about 4-5l of oil per day. The reading might stay the same for 3 days and then on day 4 show a drop of 20l rather than being spot on for each day, but for showing overall averages and trends it's very good.

I'm currently experimenting with over using electric heat to reduce oil and I'm able to show that this time last year I was averaging about 12l a day compared to 5 now. So I'm saving about €40 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

I actually have the oilpal myself but I never really trusted the readings that much, it didn't seem to get my tank size right first day and the accuracy similar to your own was questionable. It's handy to know when it's nearly empty etc. but the readings themselves I'm not so sure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you oil tank is a Barrell shape or uneven from top to bottom (some have different shapes or holes in the middle) then it's likely the gauge will not be accurate all the way down as in the amount used will not be correct. Ideally you want to measure fuel used but there is no easy option. I have seen heating on time and a counter used at a holiday let and you paid based on number of hours heating was ran for. There is no easy way to accurately measure. At least with a tank gauge you have a few months warning when you are running low and you can ship around for cheap oil or delay if you think prices will drop. I tend to haggle for the price and I check cheapest oil website fir typical price and trends to see if price is going up or down.

Advertisement