Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunters wood Ballycullen or Dodderbrook

Options
  • 24-11-2022 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey everyone! I was hoping for a little residents insight about these two estates, Hunterswood and Dodderbrook. We're interested in buying a house in either area, but we've read about terrible traffic, lack of community, fire/building regulations problems, lack of amenities. How do you guys find the place? How are the schools? Is it safe? We're a young family and we really love the idea of being close to the mountains and a bit away from town, but hopefully it's a nice area to live in?

Thanks a million to whoever will share their experience.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

what fire/building regulations problems have you heard off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I live in the area & here are my thoughts on it:

Traffic - it can be bad in the morning & evening but I think you'll find that in most places these days. It's more about planning around it if you can. I don't know anywhere that isn't suffering.

Lack of community - I have to say that our local residents committee do make the effort to arrange things during the summer & at Halloween etc. It's up to you how much you join in. Also I've yet to encounter a neighbour who isn't friendly enough.

Fire/building regulation problems - only one I heard of was in relation to the apartment balconies in Hunterswood but that was a nationwide thing that affected all apartments with balconies built that way. As far as I know it's been remediated on all of them now.

Lack of amenities - there's a Lidl close by & a new Tesco too in terms of supermarkets. A couple of Spar shops (Oldcourt & Woodstown) along with a chemist in Woodstown. There's the shops opposite the Old Mill too & a new Costa just opened there so there is a bit around. Plus The Square is only 15 mins away in a car. There's playgrounds & a good park too so yeah it's grand.

Schools - we're only starting that journey but there's quite a few primary schools close by & honestly, I've not heard a bad word about any of them. The Educate Together & the Gaelscoil are only recently built so are probably the most modern in that sense but all seem really good. Secondary schools are a bit more of a problem (lack of really) but there's a new one just opened behind Ballycullen Green & a new Gaelscoil one down by Knocklyon shops which should be open soon.

Safety - look there's the same problems everywhere. We went through a spate of car doors being tried (& things taken if open) & sheds being broken into but it wasn't too bad comparatively. I've lived there 5 years & don't feel unsafe.

It's a nice enough area to live in, you do need to get into a car to go to a lot of places but I think that's a lot of modern living near the city now so we just go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marat_s

Hey witchgirl26, thanks for the detailed response! We're also considering to buy in the new development Ballycullen Gate, what do you think about this estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It's the same developer as Ballycullen Green & Dodderbrook so very similar to those. Looks to be nice enough but hard to tell as a lot of the works are happening away from the road. All the amenities etc for the area would be the same.

Just to say - if it's saying there's a creche in the estate don't hold your breath. The one in Dodderbrook Phase 1 was promised 5 years ago & nothing yet. The creche in Phase 2 of Dodderbrook I believe is due to open sometime next year (at least they have someone who's taken the building) but it wouldn't be something I'd be counting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 saik11196

Has anyone recently bought a house in Ballycullen Gate?

@marat_s

• Advertisement
Advertisement