If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

invitation of family members of naturalised citizens

  • 24-11-2022 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

    i am german citizen my wife is currently pakistani citizenn, but will become an irish citizen this year.

    her brother, living in pakistan, is a computer science masters degree holder and would now like to work outside of pakistan. so the first idea was to apply for a job here in ireland where he has family (me and my wife and our kids)

    so my wife is not yet working - she is a learned pharmacist, but she wants to look after our kids until they are a bit older before she starts working.

    now can she "invite" family members to come over to ireland for the purpose of working? is there a certain process? or should her brother simply apply for jobs here first and the company takes care of the rest if they choose him?



  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

    The same rules apply in Ireland as Germany and the rest of the EU. You brother in law is an adult from a third country and is subject to the same regulations as all third country citizens seeking work in the EU/EEA/CH. This means apply from abroad, finding an employer to sponsor him and complying with the labour market rules.

    Since your brother in law holds a master's degree in computer science (presumably from a reputable college), the best approach for him would be to apply for an EU Blue Card. This would mean he would be entitled to permanent residence status in his own right, a route to EU citizenship, not subject to the labour market rules and his work authorisation would not be restricted by employer.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭cw67irl

    The EU Blue card isn't a thing here. He would need a work permit to come in and work.

  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

    It's a question of getting his foot in the door, getting into any EU state will him residency and citizenship within five years and then he can move where ever he likes.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭cw67irl

    He would need European Citizenship to allow complete freedom of movement, the blue card won't get him residency on its own.