Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exchanging foreign drivers license for an irish one?

Options
  • 24-11-2022 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

i have a german drivers license currently

i think i am paying ungodly amount for my car insurance... would exchanging it for an irish one lower my insurance rates? recently i renewed my insurance for an 2003 micra for around 650 euro.

thats low for my standards - when i bought the car 10 years ago, i was paying a grand. it kept going down year after year, but i still feel that lot, and probably more than the car itself is worth.

also, does having a newer car come with lower rates generally? i am planning to buy a 2019 used car. would the rate generally be lower for a more current car than it is for an old one?

what licensed do you have, what car do you drive and what do you pay annually for insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

You might see some difference, try applying for quotes stating you have a Irish driving license and see if there's any difference.

Your insurance may be more than the car is worth but remember it has to take into account the risk of damage you could do to a third party in the event of an accident.

I didn't notice any increase in my car insurance when the car passed ten years old this year.

Advertisement