Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stick Choice

• 24-11-2022 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

My Panasonic TV has started giving trouble on Netflix. It crashes out repeatedly when starting a stream, but eventually (after four or five attempts) will stream an entire show. I'm not sure if this is because Panasonic haven't updated the TV or if it's because Netflix know I'm sharing the account with my son.

So I was thinking of trying a smart stick instead. All I need from a stick is Netflix, Youtube and whatever players are legal in Ireland - RTE, Virgin, TG4, All4. (None of which are available on the TV)

What's my best option to achieve this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭decor58

I use a Now stick, no experience of the others, I find the Now stick very reliable and at 10e, at the moment, is good value. Now has Netflix, YouTube, RTE and VM players, All4, Spotify and Tune in (internet radio), no issues with buffering auto updates. Some of the guys in work have Chrome sticks with other services and they seem very pleased.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Apple TV is probably the best streaming media player out there, but is super overpriced compared to its competition. Fire TV (but buy it in Curry’s not from Amazon) or Chromecast with Google TV are cheaper options, and the Now Smart Stick cheapest of all (though beware it wants you to take Now, so have that in mind).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Mistake

Post edited by boc121 on

Fire TV (but buy it in Curry’s not from Amazon)

Can you tell me why please ?

Because they’ll only ship the never discounted and less featured “Basic Edition” to Ireland. They don’t support the fully featured model here. I’m not sure why because the fully featured model works fine now, even for Prime Video which I think was the problem before.

Curry’s will sell you the normal model. Still won’t be discounted but at least it will be fully featured.

There may be other places you can get it too, I just happen to know Curry’s stock it or at least did last time I checked. Just not Amazon. They’re great for other stuff (I do buy from them regularly) and it’s not anything against them bar their policy regarding not selling Fire sticks (their own product) to Ireland at the discount U.K. buyers seem to get.

Btw in case you think this is a Brexit thing, it’s not, it predates Brexit and Amazon.de have a similar policy - they’ll only ship the standard models to Germany and Austria.

Post edited by icdg on

• Advertisement

I think you’ll be fine for most purposes. Actually by the looks of it they’re now labelling that one an “International Edition” rather than the “Basic Edition” so I would think the gap between the two has probably lessened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I know it's way up there from a €10 stick price wise but after going through a couple of cheap sticks and Chinese boxes I simply went for NVIDIA Shield (Pro). It actually runs android tv as opposed to just android and has hardware decoding all the way up x265. It does so much more than just running Netflix and the rest too. It runs Kodi, works as a gaming console, rte & iplayer, youtube, a ton of other android apps. it's my one stop shop for all things media in the the sitting room and it does all of it with ease. Should have gone for that from the start would have saved me buy a few cheap boxes that weren't really up to the task.

I meant to say as well, the Now Smart Stick, which was sold at a ridiculously low price, has been discontinued and its availability is fairly low now. You might be able to pick it up in Lidl or Tesco if you local one still has some stocks left, they come with passes for Now too if that’s your thing (and to be honest that’s really what they are designed for)..Cex, the second hand electronics retailer, will also stock used ones at about a tenner though the new ones weren’t much more anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Will that International version of the Firestick allow you to download the RTE Player ? Because I have a UK bought Firestick and a Currys Ireland Firestick and neither have the RTE Player in the Amazon appstore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭batistuta9

No, Rte haven't made an app for the firestick that's why.

You can put the Android TV version on it yourself though & it work

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

I just found out my Sony remote controls the fire stick.

Would an LG remote do the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It depends. It's more like the devices communicate with each other via HDMI-CEC - pass on the remote control commands to each other - which typically can be turned on and off for each device. In an ideal scenario with HDMI-CEC turned on for all your bits one remote can control everything.

In my instance certain combinations work and others don't. For example I still have an old Sky+ box. When I turn it on with its remote it also turns on my AV receiver with the right input selection (Sky+) and then also turns on the telly. So one button gets everything going. But turning off doesn't work the same way, it only will turn off the Sky+ box and the AV receiver and the telly will stay on (with an empty black screen).

When I turn on my Shield with the Shield remote however it all works perfectly. Turn on the Shield and everything else turns on. Turning off the Shield turns everything off. Turning up the volume on my shield turns up the volume on the AV receiver where it should and not on the telly speakers or on the shield itself. Turning up the volume with my TV remote also turns up the volume on the AV receiver where it should and not on the telly speakers. Its because the connected systems 'know' its the receiver in charge of the sound. This way I can also turn everything off with the TV remote alone. Or alternatively with the AV receiver remote. Just the Sky+ and its remote is the outlier but I guess it's old.

So long story short, it depends. On how new your bits are and how well they do HDMI-CEC. You'll just have to try but the newer your bits the better the chance it all works. But HDMI-CEC must be turned on everywhere, check that.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

Advertisement