Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need short term policy in vehicle that is not in my name

Options
  • 21-11-2022 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Would appreciate any pointers on this… I currently have no insurance, cancelled my policy a few months ago as we got rid of one of our two cars. I’ve got a new car on order and have been offered a loan car from the garage in the interim. I need a new policy that will cover the loan car, ultimately I’ll transfer it to the new car when it arrives early next year.

Ive been in touch with several insurance companies and brokers and can’t get a policy because the loan car isn’t mine… Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

Most insurance companies sell a minimum of a years insurance and typically the car must be owned by you or partner. Exceptions are short term sometimes only when main car is broken. It will be hard to get a years policy without a main car reg owned by you.

Some hire companies offer medium term leases with cars provided. Try ringing enterprise etc and see cost.

I suggest you are looking for something for lower price than it costs. Even if you had a policy in place it's not going to cover you to drive another car for 40+ days without regularly calling to extend temporary nature.

In one case I bought a 500 euro Toyota Yaris as a stop gap, insured it, then resold it 3 weeks later for 500 euro. I searched done deal for easy to insure cars near me that had at least 4 months nct, small engine easy to insure and easy to resell. These days you might want 1000+ budget for a small engine car with valid nct.

If you make changes to your policy mid year (when your new car shows up) the insurer typically tries to rip you off, so you might need to switch insurer mid year. Going via a broker may help as they can make switching and requotes easier.

Ringing a broker and asking for advice is probably your best bet.

Good luck.

Advertisement