Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New 1Gb Ftth Connection

Options
  • 21-11-2022 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I am having new 1GB ftth connection installed this week by Eir. I have a new Deco X50 Mesh to distribute it through the house . Do I connect one of the Deco units to the new router which is presume will be a F3000 or can I connect one of the Deco units directly to the OTB box with no need for the router

If I connect to the F3000 I presume I need to either turn off it's wifi or place it in bridge mode and is this difficult.

I also have a Hue Bridge can I connect that to another of the Decos by ethernet cable.

Apologies for the many questions but I haven't much of an idea what I am doing . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Deco's can usually operate in two modes, Access Point and Router.

If you want to use the F3000 put them in Access Point mode and switch off the F3000's WiFi. You do lose some of the Deco features like Parental Controls etc but they will still work as a normal WiFi mesh (with device roaming between units).

If you want to eliminate the F3000 you could put them in Router mode and connect direct to the ONT.

The Hue bridge should connect fine to one of the Deco's by ethernet (haven't done it for Hue but did wire a TV with ethernet).

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

Thank you very much that's very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Similar question, I'm getting my fibre connection soon and assume they will replace my F2000 with a F3000, yes?

So thing is, I don't have a MESH WiFi network yet. If I use the WiFi on the F3000, is the EIr smart WiFi hub the only device that will work in MESH mode with it, or are there other manufacturer devices that can pair with the F3000?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

dam099's reply would apply to you too. Deco's, like a lot of mesh options, can be used in conjunction with the F3000 or replace it completely. Its up to you. I have SIRO and dont use the provided router. Only VM require you to use their provided router.

great, so if I purchased the Deco E4 twin pack, they will connect via MESH WiFI to the F3000, making a network with 3 access points that i can roam between?

Dam099's reply seemed to suggest turning off the F3000 wifi so that confused me. Ideally the F300 would provide cover near the router, and the 2 Deco units would then be placed in other rooms - does that make sense?

(or add 2 google wifi hubs even - do they work with F3000 Mesh as well?)

• Advertisement

That won't work, the F3000 Wifi would be a seperate network (in theory you could give them the same SSID and password but chances are devices wont roam well between the F3000 and the Deco's hanging on to weak signals way too long).

Don't get the E4's they only have 100Mbps ethernet ports, S4's or M4's are often only €10-20 more for a set and have 1Gbps ports.

In addition 3 packs often aren't much more than 2 packs, presently for S4's the 3 pack is actually cheaper that the S4 2 pack:

An E4 2 pack is only £20 cheaper for one less unit and much worse performance.

ah! so i cant use the F3000 wifi in MESH mode then.

Maybe I should get the Eir Smart Wifi hub in that case, and for 99 I have 2 access points on Wifi6.

If the F3000 meets your needs as a router and you think one additional point will provide adequate WiFi coverage that's another option. Will get pricey if you need a 3rd access point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Very helpeful thread. Just an additional query, I have a mesh network off of a Fritzbox. Can this still be used as the main router or also in conjunction with the F3000

I am not clear what type of setup you are referring to?

Is it a Deco (or similar) system already connected to the Fritzbox or using Fritz mesh points?

You wouldn't usually want to be using a Fritzbox and a F3000 in the same network as both would be routing. I am not a user of either but Fritzbox would generally be better regarded.

You cannot mix manufacturers equipment to create a mesh system. You can use a router from one brand and a different brand of mesh system together but at least one point in the mesh will need to be wired to the router and ideally you would disable WiFi on the router and any routing features of the mesh system (such as putting into access point mode).

Alternatively use the mesh system in routing mode directly connected to the ONT and eliminate any ISP routers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Thanks for your reply. Ya its a Fritz mesh I've been using so probably going to take the F3000 out of the equation and connect the Fritz directly to the ONT

Advertisement