Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Much For Architect & Planning Permission on Major Renovation? (Self Build)

• 20-11-2022 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi all, complete newbie to this so be gentle.

Looking to do major rebuild on a bungalow. The original structure is 200+ years old, with granite walls. Then an old extension was added out the back (blockwork I think). The shape of the house is like 2 rectangles running parallel. They have separate A roofs with a valley running in between. The house hasn't been lived in for 30 years.

What I'm looking to do is add a 1 room extension to rear, meaning the old extension will be the same length as the original house (gable to gable, if that makes sense). I want to remove the wall that runs down the spine of the house (the back wall to the original house). Then remove the 2 existing roofs, and brick up between the gables, creating 1 large gable wall at either end, which will raise the roof height which will allow for upstairs rooms. I need the architect to draw up everything really, from cavity walls to roof pitches to layout of pipework for underfloor heating. And I need it easy enough to understand so I can follow it (I can't afford to pay others to do all the work, simple as).

How much will it cost me for the architect to work up a full set of drawings and help me with the planning application? And how much will planning cost? I'm in Dún Laoghaire CC if that matters. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

If you are going to tender for the work you may want construction drawings post planning permission approval. So you can split into 2 costs; gettting planning permission, and potentially then construction drawings after this. Also need to consider the need for structural, safety, civil engineers to review and input into any post planning permission drawings. Maybe 15-20k for the lot but you may also get to planning permission approaval on a fixed price agreement with an arctitect for like 3-5k but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tall Architect

I would say somewhere between 3-5k based on what you have described to firm up on the exact design and submit a planning application

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

The prices above will be ex. VAT and not including newspaper ads etc so it may cost around 6.5k after all costs are considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

• Advertisement
Advertisement