Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poorly maintained traffic lights (Cork City suburbs)

Options
  • 20-11-2022 9:29pm

Is this a national issue or unique to Cork? I’m noticing some very poorly maintained lenses on traffic lights which is making the symbols very hard to see.

For example, there’s a pedestrian crossing in Glanmire that currently look likes a full green light instead of a green man. It’s actually potentially confusing in the dark as you see it as a green light and can’t see the outline of the traffic light head. It’s not immediately clear it’s a pedestrian signal facing the other way.

It’s like someone hasn’t put the lenses back correctly when they did maintenance, or the light has been hit with something. I’ve seen this in a few places where it’s really hard to see what arrow or symbol is on the lamp head.

It almost looks like the layer of plastic with the cutout for the symbol has fallen back or isn’t in the correct position.

The worst ones seem to be in former county council areas.

Also there are several major junctions setup with a right turn timing, but with no fly light. So you can safely turn across the junction on full green, and the oncoming traffic is held, but there’s nothing to indicate this. It’s pretty bad practice as it leads to some weird assumptions for other road users who don’t expect those “in the know” to suddenly swing right.

It’s quite weird as many minor junctions in the city are often kitted out with complex and correctly signalled fly lights - amber or green.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Same everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sudocremegg

Same in Waterford city. There are a number of traffic lights just not working or not visible, like left filter from the passage road to St Patricks way is not visible to cars stopped at the line because it's positioned too high, and the further light simply has no filter.

The right turn from the Mall to Lombard street is only a filter arrow that comes on every 3 minutes for 5 seconds when it's perfectly safe for it to be a solid green right turn if nothing is coming against you.

The green man lights at the junction of College St, Cork road, and Manor street is often misinterpreted by cars for a green on the road.

There's a number of new pedestrian crossings where the solid red is so bright that it is literally blinding as you approach during the night like the one on Water street.

The flashing orange zebra crossing by the plaza is so poorly lit that cars do not see people waiting to cross and the two lanes means that if one car stops others fly through in the other lane nearly killing people.

Just a few that come to mind.

I find some of the more compact white coloured body LED lights, mostly used by Dublin City Council are way, way too bright. It could be a sensor issue, where they are not going into night mode, but I was going through one on a dark suburban road and it was so bright I could barely see past it. It was like having eye level full headlights on.

Advertisement