Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance - EU Travel for > 94 days

Options
  • 20-11-2022 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

I am off on an extended trip to France at the end of this year and looking to bring my car.

Any suggestions on the cheapest (I know this differs per person) insurers that have good EU Cover for extended periods?

Luckily my insurance is up for renewal before the trip so can shop around

So far my best options appear to be Zurich (Happy to extend for $$$) or Liberty (93 days standard, will likely cover the extra day but will be unable to tell me until I take out the policy as it needs to go to underwriting)

Anyone know of any other insurer that has been good for this sort of trip in the past

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Wondering what you got at the end. I am with Liberty and they told me no problem to extend the 93 paying extra (unknown at that time).

I asked them through my broker how much would be to extend it by a couple of weeks as we would need to stay a bit longer this year. This was early December and still no answer and we had very strange questions from the underwriters.

I think I am going to just get the ferry at the end of the 93 days, but now I wonder what would happen if the ferry got cancelled as we have a dog and it is really hard to get a ferry after a cancellation as most ferries would get booked and we would have to delay for a few weeks (we have asked but there is no answer from them). Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You have the minimum level of insurance required on all policies for it's duration when you are in the EU. It's any extra cover you have that expires after the time the insurance company gives you. So if you miss the ferry you're still insured, you just don't have Fire & theft of Fully comp.

Advertisement