Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a gaming PC for Christmas. Help me pick out the parts please :)

• 20-11-2022 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey everyone, I'm just going to copy in the sample questions but feel free to ask any clarifying questions.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

• I'd like to stick to 2500-2750 but I'm willing to go up to 3000 for the right PC.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

• Gaming, programming, and general use. I plan to play a lot of the bigger hardware-intensive games with my new PC eg Elden Ring, Resident Evil remakes, God of War, Spiderman, Far Cry, and anything else that comes out.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

• Yes I do.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

• No, I'll be giving my old PC to my brother for Christmas so I'll just have the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

• No, I plan on buying a LG 27GN950-B but that's later on and separate from this.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

• Yes, my current is 1080 and I plan to go to 4k relatively soon (current: LG 27GL650F-B, new:LG 27GN950-B)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

• No, I don't believe so, I would like the ability to connect my PC through an Ethernet cable or WiFi though.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

• I don't want to overclock

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

• I'll probably be buying on amazon.co.uk using my debit card

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

• I'd like to buy before/on black Friday/cyber Monday if there are potential savings but really I just want to order before the end of the month.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• I'm not sure I need help building it but just in case I'm based in Carlow Town.

EXTRA INFO:

• This is my current build if that helps at all with an idea of what I like. https://pcpartpicker(dot)com/list/8y4Lb8
    • My peripherals have a red/black colour scheme so I'd like to stick to that if possible.
    • I need at least 2tb of storage and more if within budget.
    • I prefer the intel/nvidia combo and would like an i7/3080ish setup

Thanks guys.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cornholio509

It seems you already know what you want . As for the the colour scheme a lot of motherboards are black and have RGB . Same can be said for GPUs and RAM . SO your colour scheme is easy to do on that end . As for the rest of the build SSD's and NVME drive are about €100 euro per terrabyte . So you can easily get what you want on that budget . All that is left is research on your part .

INtel 17 13700k €470 Could be more depending on seller .

Z790 motherboard €200-350 . Depending on how many gaming words are used to flatter the PC elitests E-peens .

DDR4 16Gb RGB €80-100 Or DDR5 36gb RGB kit €300 + depending on manufacturer

850W PSu €120

NVME drives 1tb €100 or cheaper depending on PCIE generation and manufacturer

RTX 3080 between €850 and 1000 depending on seller and or brand . Depending on how many gaming words are used to flatter the PC elitests E-peens .

AIO cooler €120 -250 depending on how much RGB wirdness wou want .

Decent PC case with good airflow 120-200 Euro depending on style of case or even manufacturer . ALso you need to take mnarketing words with a grain of salt here .

A rough back of the envelope price is within your budget . Probably a little more than 2500 euro in total . Again most of thats available can cost less because of sales in the run upto christmass .

NOTE : prices above were got in a quick online session on https://www.gputracker.eu/en . I didnt do all that much looking fore specific RED/BLACK themed anything . RED/BLACK colour schemes and plain white usually have a GAMER tax added to them . ALso remeber certain manufacturers can cost extra alswell . SO be aware of pricing in that aspect .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I would consider the new Ryzen AM5 as the platform is intended to last as long as the AM4 (three generations) unlike Intel which is a dead socket after this gen

Only thing is the boards are a bit stupidly priced

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cornholio509

AMd 7700x €430

AM5 asrock x670e €320

DDR5 32 gb 2x16 5200mhz €250-350

Not really cost prohibitave If you think about it . 2025 and still be able to swap out just the CPU and maybe faster ram when ddr5 matures . Intel on the otherhand maybe an upgrade to the DDR5 down the road and that its . In the long term AMD will turn out to be cheaper of both platforms . That said if the op has no intention of upgrading for the next 5 years it all a moot point .

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jon Doe

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/L6pTRv

Notice that I speced the PSU for a 4090, just in case you want to go overboard: you could do with 750W.

Also, that price should be taken with a pinch of salt: I didn't bother to fine tune the suppliers. You can fine tune the supplier's list on geizhals.eu or you can just help Jeff Bezos become a richer man... :/

The 7700x has a built in GPU; I advise you to delay buying the GPU until after the 13th of December. That's new GPU day: prices may drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 david131

Thanks I appreciate the list, a lot of the parts seem to be unavailable here but I'll keep an eye out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jon Doe

Like I said you need to hunt for a good reseller. Find 3 or 4 resellers that ship to Ireland and add all items to the shop's cart in each of the web sites. If you're building it yourself, you can split the order across 2 or 3 sellers. The Case and PSU are usual suspects; they're so heavy that there's no point in ensuring they're part of a big bundle to save on transport costs... You can find plenty of resellers in geizhals.eu. Sometimes you can also find some bargains in kuantokusta.pt.

Advertisement