Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat doesn't like me anymore

Options
  • 20-11-2022 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

I'll try this as short as possible

Our cat was a rescue kitten ,and for most part was my cat. I had one long term girlfriend before I met my now wife. I've been the only constant in her life. She now around 15

She has always preferred female company (I am male just to clarify) with the previous relationship seemed to bond more with her quite well.

My wife was very nervous at start (wasn't used to cats). But they have bonded over time .

As they have bonded , she has become more and more detached from me . Which for the most part I was ok with .

The last two months however it has gotten worse (this also coincides with our dog passing away, but at best they tolerated each other)

Any time I enter a room, she bolts out of it.(nearly flooring me a few times , because I didn't know she was there) There seems to be this unwarranted fear or hatred of me.

90% of time I am the one who feeds her and cleans her toilet.

I work nights and she only comes out of her room when I go to bed in evenings before work . At weekend if I'm around she won't leave her room. When she is with my wife , she wants to be near her , have her attention (even when my wife doesn't want her attention aka she is busy doing something)

My wife has noticed too, and she admits her behaviour isn't right, and unwarranted, as in I don't scold her , or raise my voice to her (the only time I raised my voice to her was when she was on stairs and I nearly fell down the stairs ,black cats!) My wife opening admits she has given out to her about same and other things . I dont because Im afraid it will damage our bond, if any exists

Granted I know she is only an animal but her behaviour is very hard to take, I love animals, I try to respect them as much I would with a person. if a person was doing the same to me I probably wouldn't care as much.

My wife wants us to bring her to vets about it , but at 15 they'll probably suggest putting her to sleep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

<post deleted>

See warning post below.

Thanks,

DBB

Post edited by DBB on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You're trying too hard. I have several cats and I find that if you try give them attention, they snub you. Ignore them and they're purring like kittens to get your attention. I also notice most of them prefer to be around females.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

To honest I don't try ,all I do is feed her and clean her toilet. My wife does it as well but more then often it's me.

Besides that She won't stay in the room long enough for me even to acknowledge her.

Yesterday I called her, because my wife was away , but she wouldn't leave her room. I didn't force the issue when she didn't come , I did it purely so she knew she could .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Cats are just peculiar creatures. My oldest cat is about the same age. She's wild natured and unpredictable. Loves a rub from me and often finds her way to sleep at end of the bed. Can't be trusted around people (especially kids) as she is known to swipe. Mostly without claws though. I give her a hoosh with my foot when she does, being gentle enough not to hurt her, but enough to get the message across and she behaves again.

I have a boy and girl sibling pair about 10 years. The boy has dust mite allergies causing excessive grooming and hair loss. For years he would go to the toilet in a few odd places....bottom of stairs, beside sofa, under kitchen table, or right beside someone's foot. For those reasons, he's an outdoor cat unless the weather is very cold, we let him sleep in the kitchen. His sister is very shy. Prefers female company. Most people have never seen her because she's always hiding from them. She also has a grooming issue on one side of her body where she just neglects and it gets matted every few weeks until we groom her.

We have a set of brothers under a year. They are more normal, but personalities are still developing. All our cats get spayed and neutered as soon as possible.

Don't worry about your cat. If it's feeding and in good health, leave it be. If you want deeper insight, there are cat forums, but those places are a bit catcentric for me.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’d take her for a checkup anyways if she hasn’t been for a while. They’re not going to suggest you have a healthy animal PTS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

<post deleted>

Wrong forum Man Vs ManUre.

At least, I hope you made that mistake, because I'm almost 100% certain you know you're not allowed post crap like that in this forum.

Afatbollix, same goes for you. You can act out your username elsewhere, but you're not doing it in this forum.

Man Vs ManUre and afatbollix, don't post in this thread again.

Thanks,

DBB

Advertisement