Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi car policies.

Options
  • 19-11-2022 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Hi all, does anyone know what companies provide multi car policies in Ireland at a reasonable cost. Sick of having to transfer my policy to different cars so as I'm clear to drive. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Or even car insurance companies that allow you to transfer your car insurance online yourself, via an app

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DJ5831

You can take out a fully comp policy on a car and then get Driving Other Cars cover, you will need to be above age 25 for this however.

This will cover you (the policyholder, but not named driver) to drive any car under the following conditions:

-The car is not registered/owned to you or your spouse

-The car is otherwise roadworthy (Valid NCT and tax disc)

-Only private cars (no commercials, vans, crew-cab jeeps, bikes, tractors etc)

Some insurers impose a condition where there must be an insurance policy in place on the car already, for example, Liberty and Zurich do this. However, most insurers nowadays including Axa and Allianz don't need this. It's designed to stop the classic scenario of a boy racer insuring his 25-year-old Yaris or Micra and then using the Driving Other Cars cover to drive an IS200 or Skyline, a practice that is still alive and well today with an alarming amount of people doing it.

It should be noted that by doing this, your name cannot be on the logbook so the car will have to be "owned" and registered to a family member or whoever else, as long as it's not you or your spouse. Also, only you can drive the car, not named drivers. On top of that, you are insured to drive the car 3rd party so if you hit somebody/something, there is cover in place that can be claimed on, and you are fully road legal. However the car in question isn't insured itself so if you damage it or it's stolen, it's on you. Just carry your Certificate of Insurance with you when driving and you'll be grand.

If you don't want to do this, you'll need trade/fleet insurance which will cost a fortune.

No I'm well over 25 unfortunately. Thanks for the informative answer. Very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DJ5831

Over? Or did you mean to say under?

This cover is available to people, at a surprisingly low cost/for free over the age of 25. Some insurers like Liberty charge a tiny bit extra for it, while others like Axa and Allianz include it on a fully comp policy, by default, for free.

I haven't seen 25 in about 2 decades ha. I'm with bank of Ireland car insurance so I must inquire. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've heard this companies adverts a good bit, no idea how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭Allinall

Be careful using "driving other cars".

If you own the other car you own it, regardless of who's name is on the log book.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Responding to two points made by poster DJ5831 in post #3.....

Some insurers impose a condition where there must be an insurance policy in place on the car already, for example, Liberty and Zurich do this.

Aviva also have this condition under 'driving other cars'. If the absence of this condition is important to you and you're thinking of moving to a new insurer, it's worth checking their current policy document as this condition gets adopted without any public fanfare i.e. it just shows up in the policy document. And will apply to all policies and renewals taken out after the date the modified policy document is posted on the company website.

On top of that, you are insured to drive the car 3rd party so if you hit somebody/something, there is cover in place that can be claimed on, and you are fully road legal. However the car in question isn't insured itself so if you damage it or it's stolen, it's on you.

Some policies extend comprehensive cover to 'driving other cars', I have it with Axa. There is normally some restriction, either on the engine size of the borrowed car (TP cover only if the engine c.c. is above the limit) or a monetary limit on the size of the claim if you damage a borrowed car.

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful information.

• Advertisement
Advertisement